Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 'Mouse' update with pic  (Read 43140 times)

devonlad

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Nr Crediton in Devon
Re: 5 foster kitties
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 06:43:52 pm »
good luck with the survivors. we took on a feral kiten via cats protection and two years on "Mouse" is a much loved part of the family and a fearsome rat (and sadly yesterday swallow) catcher.  :fc:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: 5 foster kitties
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:33 pm »
Not an easy job but do hope the rest survive  :fc:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Re: 5 foster kitties - photo of surviving 2 added 1 week on
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 06:15:12 pm »
Well that is one week down and now over 48 hours since the others were lost.  Thankfully these two are showing no signs of whatever it was the others and mum succumbed to.  They are feeding, burping, peeing, pooing and sleeping well and are very active and noisy when awake.  We have also had our first purr  :love: out of them.  Keeping fingers very tightly crossed  :fc:

Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: foster kitties -photo added
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 06:36:50 pm »
 :fc:  for Hector and Mouse
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 06:48:58 pm »
What little cuties  :love: Sending them lots of 'growing up big and strong' wishes.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 06:55:29 pm »
 :thumbsup: :love: :love:  so hope they make it!! :thumbsup:

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 11:57:48 pm »
So upset - since posting the photo Hector has taken a turn for the worse.  He has taken hardly any of his last feed just now and is very lethargic, the same as his siblings were.  I think we are going to lose him during the night.  Alarm set for 2.30 for next feed and I'm dreading it.   :'( 
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Dans

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Spalding
    • Six Oaks
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 12:20:51 am »
Keeping Hector in thoughts  :fc:

Dans
9 sheep, 24 chickens, 3 cats, a toddler and a baby on the way

www.sixoaks.co.uk

www.facebook.com/pg/sixoakssmallholding

www.goodlife.sixoaks.co.uk

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 07:04:36 am »
I have my fingers and toes crossed, for this morning.

K

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 07:40:08 am »
Much as expected we lost little Hector during the night :'( .  Mouse is active and feeding this morning, having burped, pooed, wee'd and purred but, as we have found out with the others, that means nothing.  Going to take him to the vet again this morning despite them all having seen one on Saturday.  The vet did warn me last Tuesday that they'd probably not survive as we don't know what mum died of and we don't know if any of them got colostrum.  Does anyone know if a week old kitten can be given antibiotics?

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2013, 07:42:48 am »
Oh, I'm sorry  :hug:

You're giving them the best chance you could - they wouldn't have had any hope without you.
I don't know about the antibiotics, but the vets will

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2013, 09:48:37 am »
 :hug:  so sorry.......I doubt the vet will find anything, I think they can have anti biotics...but I am no vet.....we took a tiny pup to the vet but we took the wrong one and its sibling died in a similar way, the mum actualy rejected that pup so they know..... :(

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2013, 09:54:20 am »
Awww, how upsetting all this for you, but you know you have done everything you can to give them the best chance. Lets hope Mouse makes it then at least all of your efforts won't have gone to waste.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2013, 11:25:55 am »
You were right HGL, the vet found nothing but thought it worth while covering Mouse with antibiotics just in case it helps.  Not knowing what took mum and siblings he thinks it unlikely that Mouse will survive either but I am not giving up on the little fella.  He is sleeping now with a rolled up fluffy sock for company and I keep popping my hand in the box to check hot water bottle temp and to give him a gentle rub/nudge to simulate movement from mum and siblings.  Just hope he has enough fight left in him to pull through.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 12:48:48 pm »
 :bouquet:  Sorry Luckylady but you are doing all you possibly could .... must be really upsetting  :'(

Keeping everything crossed for little Mouse and you.   :cat:   :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS