Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what does ringworm look like and how to cure  (Read 7901 times)

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
what does ringworm look like and how to cure
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:31:08 am »
Hi

we are fairly new to cattle and have had a couple of 9 month old Dexter stirks for about a month now.

On one a patch developed by his nose where the hair was worn away and a sort of dry scab appeared. This is now about the size of a 5 pence piece.

have now noticed a smaller patch on the other side of the nose and a very samll patch by each eye.

Of course we have now let the calves out of their barn onto the paddock just to make any treatment harder!

so what does ringworm look like or is there anything else that springs to mind it could be and if ringworm whats the best way to treat?

calf is fine in every other way, grazing well, likes to run around and comes to the bucket for a bit of course mix. they have a mineral lick bucket but havent seemed to take to it yet.

thoughts?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: what does ringworm look like and how to cure
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:44 am »
Definitely sounds like ringworm..... not sure what current treatment is .(ask vet or local supplier)... we used to use a spray many years ago.  Be very carefull ringworm is a zoonose and infectious.   You can get it from the animals or from wood etc they have infected.   Most  cattle people get it at sometime .... but ensure any suspect patches go to doctor and you tell him what it is likely to be as not all doctors will recognise it.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:19 am »
Be very carefull ringworm is a zoonose and infectious.   You can get it from the animals or from wood etc they have infected.   Most  cattle people get it at sometime ....

I got it - sounds like what you have. The vet diagnosed it on me. (I survived, as you can imagine... Just a bit itchy sometimes.)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 08:55:38 am »
I've had it too. Took the doc ages to diagnose it - skin scrapes and all - despite me telling him what it was. had cream then pills that worked almost overnight  ;D

Sounds like ringworm - there is a distinctive ring ie it's not a disc of infection. The inside will be clear and there will be a ring of red skin moving outwards.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 08:57:47 am »
You can spray the patches with iodine if you want - but now the calves are running outside, it will almost certainly clear up on its own.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 09:01:05 am »
Found this for you wallyward:

http://www.cattletoday.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=53672

Some other useful cattle info there too.

:cow:

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 10:41:29 am »
Hi

many thanks for all the replies. Think for teh momment will just keep an eye and see if being outside now helps or at leasts stops it getting worse.

my youngest will be sad though that he cant give them a stroke for a while!

regards

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 07:18:56 pm »
One of our 2 came up with a patch on the top of its neck and one in the middle of its neck.
I put Iodene on it and a week later its nearly cleared up. Thankfully the other one has not caught it or have I  :fc:
Graham

wallyward

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2013, 07:47:56 am »
hi

i have the iodine solution we use for lambing, would that be the stuff to try? just brush a bit on?

thanks

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2013, 11:14:55 am »
Yes, same as you use for lambing, but maybe use at 5% rather than 10%. 

I keep mine in a spray bottle, and spray it onto the plaques.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2013, 12:12:40 am »
ringworm can also survive on fenceposts etc. virkon disinfectant can be used in that scenario.

there is a shampoo which you bath them in too which kills it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 12:16:33 am by shygirl »

Hillview Farm

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Surrey
  • Proud owner of sheep and Llamas!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 11:43:52 am »
Sunlight kills it..... If we ever get any!

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 11:49:04 am »
If they have been inside then you'll need to disinfect the shed, especially around troughs and feed racks, otherwise any cattle going back in there could contract it.

peter c

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 10:21:50 am »
imervol, you can get it from mole valley farmers online, spray it with a small hand held garden sprayer, will kill it in 24 hours, cost you 25 quid and you wont even use a tenth of it,

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 07:45:52 pm »

I've had it too. I don't know if this works but I was recently in a dairy which had sprigs of holly hung from the rafters, and to be fair none of the beasts had ringworm, it's probably just and old wives tale but anythings worth a try once.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS