Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Itchy ears...!!  (Read 4848 times)

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Orpingtons and assorted Sheep
Itchy ears...!!
« on: May 21, 2013, 08:51:09 pm »
Can sheep/lambs get itchy ears.  Went out tonight to check the sheep and couldn't see Babby Lamb, she was led down in the field shelter looking very sorry for herself,  her ears were out flat (like eeyore's)...?
She did jump up and eat some short feed I took in and had a drink of water, but she kept trying to scratch at her ears and trying to shake her head.  She did have a warm nose....

Hubby said he had seen her with her head through the fence eating the ivy/grass/weeds this morning, but I couldn't see any red marks on her ears as if she had got her head stuck.  They all had there 6 week heptavac jab on Saturday but up to now none had shown any reactions.  Could feel any lump in the injection area on her neck.
Looked again just now and although she did come out when all the others came to see if they could have some 'food' she has gone back in and led down again.
Any suggestions of what it might be...?

You are never to old to learn something new

silkiechick

• Joined Apr 2011
Re: Itchy ears...!!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 09:02:16 pm »
 fly strike ?

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:41:49 pm »
Ours sometimes get grass seeds etc in their ears which leaves them looking very sorry for themselves. Eeyore is a good description  ;D

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 10:48:14 pm »
fly strike ?
Checked her all over and couldn't see anything, it's not been that hot here and a fair bit of wind....

dyedinthewool

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:51:07 pm »
Ours sometimes get grass seeds etc in their ears which leaves them looking very sorry for themselves. Eeyore is a good description  ;D
HMmmm I did wonder as they are still getting and eating hay and being lamb like they stand under the hay-racks in the barn to pull from the bottom while 'mum' drops hers all over the them.

If that's the case can I do anything to clean her ears out...

Pedwardine

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:27 am »
I've found it generally just rights itself and the old ear wax does it's job. Sometimes a good old ear rub does wonders. If it's deep inside I don't know what to advise  :(  Sorry hon.

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 09:13:05 am »
We had the same thing last year with twin Ryeland lambs. The vet was coming out for something else so she took a sample from the ears while she was there cos she thought it could be mites - grass seeds were all she found. She gave me an ear cleaner licensed for dogs called Epiotic - it's a reasonable sized bottle so it went a long way. Every so often they still get "eeyore" ears -so I do it again and then they are fine! You can get it online easily.  :)
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:22:00 am »
I have no idea about the lambs but I do have a dog with the same problem. We use an ear cleaner on him too. Just put some drops in and rub the ears for a little bit and then just let them shake their head in the usual way. I don't think you can do any harm doing it anyway so might be worth a try.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS