Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Totally novice shearing course question  (Read 2185 times)

Cactus

• Joined May 2013
Totally novice shearing course question
« on: May 20, 2013, 01:47:48 pm »
In preparation for getting our first flock, OH has decided he'd like to learn how to shear so he'll hopefully be going on a Wool Board course later this year. They've advised he needs to bring a comb and cutter - I've had a look on some of the agricultural merchant sites and the range is mindboggling :-[, so I thought I'd ask for advice here. Any suggestions gratefully received.

peter c

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: Totally novice shearing course question
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 07:27:11 pm »
horner shearing farmers pack! ideal for everything

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:20 am »
PM one of the shearers on the site for advice Philip or Andy should be able to advise.
 I ordered a basic one from horner which needed oiling every 3 mins which for a beginer shearing alone like me would mean breaking off repeatedly and possibly loosing the sheep so I returned them. I have a much more seriour set from lister now but they are a bit big and heavy for me.

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 04:32:08 pm »
I'm a bit baffled by the wool board's advice. If I go (and these days pay dearly!) to a beginner's course, that's one of the things I want to learn: what different types of shearing equipment are available, and what might be best for me.

Basically, what they are saying is - we teach you about shearing, but only if you already know quite a lot about it. Not good enough from my point of view!

(I went on one of their courses a few years back - certainly nobody mentioned bringing anything along apart from suitable clothes. And lunch...)

sheepish_too

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 10:41:24 pm »
I have 80 ewes. I started shearing 2 years ago. I'm 41. Bearing all this in mind, and I don't know how close this relates to your situation, this is my advice.

Buy a sheering machine, handpiece, combs and cutters. The 12v Horner set up is very good. But if I had my time again I'd spend the extra £100 or so and get a mains set up. Lifting a battery from the car is a pain, because when you start 10 ewes in a session will exhaust you. So the battery will be in and out, and that gets tedious.

Buy the Wool Board intro DVD Horners sell that too (there are some good instructional clips on YouTube, but I cant find the best ones just now). There is also a good guide on YouTube here.

Watch the DVD a couple of times. Don't worry too much about the cutting. Cutting is easy. Worry about feet position. Worry about what you are doing with your knees.

Set up your kit. Get 3 or 4 ewes in one night.

Watch your DVD again in the morning. Then one more time and concentrate on the first few moves. Sheering the belly and first leg.

Go out and try it. It'll be hard and you might nick the belly, and you'll feel bad.

Put the ewe down. Give her a rest. Give you a rest. Watch the next couple of moves on your DVD. Take your time. Go back to the ewe and try that.

You can find step by step pictures on the internet. Where to stand. The direction of the cutting blows. They might not match the Wool Board DVD exactly but they'll be close. Print them out and pin them near where you shear to refer to.

If you sheer 4 ewes on your first day be happy.

You'll get better.

The following year book yourself on a shearing course. You'll know roughly what you're doing and the instructor will help you get better and you'll remember what he says. If you go on a course having never sheared you'll walk away after 2 days barely able to stand and you won't be much cop at shearing. Every move will be new to you and because it's new it'll be exhausting and you won't end up shearing many ewes and you won't get much practice.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:30:48 am »
There's a beginners' shearing course (no equipment required!) at www.humblebynature.com in Monmouthshire on Saturday, June 8. Course tutor is Tim Stephens, a champion shearer, and it's suitable for everyone.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS