Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wool Spinning  (Read 2988 times)

Riverside21

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Dorset
Wool Spinning
« on: May 20, 2013, 12:17:58 pm »
Hello everyone! Not sure if this should go in the crafts section or over here. Does anyone know how I can get in touch with local spinners? I'm based in North Dorset and I'm hoping to find someone local(ish). I had my ram lamb and 9 of my girls sheared on Saturday 18th May, the wool has been stored in bags in a stable since.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Wool Spinning
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 12:22:43 pm »
There is a guild in Dorchester. Is that local to you?
http://dorsetweaversspinnersdyers.org.uk/
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:25:18 pm »
Are you wanting to sell the fleece or learn to spin?  :spin: :knit:

Google The Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers and they should have contact details for your area.

Make sure your fleeces are not stored in plastic bags as they will sweat and go mouldy.  Woven polypropylene, hessian or cotton is best and the bags should be hung off the ground, out of sunlight and with some air circulation - old stable sounds fine.
It is also worth skirting your fleeces and making sure there isn't any veg matter or loose dags rolled in the bundle.

(cross posted with Bionic  :wave: )
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Riverside21

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Dorset
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 04:11:18 pm »
Thanks Bionic, Dorchester isn't too far at all.

Hi Fleecewife, I'm hoping to keep some of the yarn and hopefully sell some too. Unfortunatly I haven't got the time to spin it myself, but the OH loves to knit and she's very good at it so I thought what better to use than our own wool. Is it normal to pay a spinner and then get back the yarn? (I'm completely new to this!)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 05:52:01 pm »
This gets discussed regularly...  It's not cheap to pay a handspinner; it takes a lot of time to prepare a fleece and spin and ply it into yarn.

If your fleeces are beautiful - what breed are the sheep? - then you may get some offers to take the fleeces and pay in spun yarn.  As everyone has said, the place to start is your local Guild.

Otherwise there are mills who will process yarn from your own fleeces - they're not cheap, either, and I don't know what would be their minimum quantity to process.  Search Natural Fibre Company - either on Google or in the Crafts or Sheep sections here.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Riverside21

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Dorset
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 07:10:59 pm »
Hi SallyintNorth,

The breed is Hampshire Down, so not a coloured breed, but I wouldn't know whats a good fleece and whats not if I'm honest. I've contacted the guild, so hopefully I can find out a bit more through them. Thankyou for mentioning the Natural Fibre Company, theres certainly plenty of information to read!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS