Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Chickens? 'More trouble than they are worth'  (Read 8904 times)

Lizmar

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Carrick on Suir - Tipperary Ireland
Chickens? 'More trouble than they are worth'
« on: July 15, 2009, 11:41:40 am »
The vet was visiting my friends sick horse and I thought while he was there I would ask some questions about keeping chickens as I am about ready to get them now.  His words were, 'don't bother, seems everyone is getting them at the moment because of the so called ressession - they are more trouble than they are worth, always getting sick, so you can't eat the eggs and costs money all the time for treatment'.
Please reassure me that he was just a miserable old f..t and they aren't that bad to look after :'(

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
Re: Chickens? 'More trouble than they are worth'
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 11:54:01 am »
Ignore him!!

They are fab and we are SO enjoying all the eggs! They have not got ill (just a few broody periods!) at all and are great company. The eat slugs and kitchen waste, and they produce amazing eggs. Seriously after eating your own eggs (well you knwo what I mean!) you will never want shop bought ones again!!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

YorkshireSmallholder

• Joined Jun 2008
  • East Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 12:21:30 pm »
What a strange thing to say ??? Chickens are probably the easiest of all livestock to own & extremely rewarding. Believe me, you won't regret it. Fresh water, food & somewhere clean & dry to sleep and you'll have no bother at all - apart from deciding what to do with all the eggs.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 12:24:09 pm »
i wouldnt trade my chooks in!
ignore him or get a new vet!

bah humbug!
GEM. X

Pomona

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 12:36:17 pm »
To be honest I find the hens a total doddle - being me I completely overthought and overdid all the preparation, but once you get the basics you're good to go.    They require very little maintenance, just keeping their coop clean, and it doesn't cost much to feed them.  They're very entertaining and the eggs are so incredibly tasty you'll never want to buy from a supermarket again  :)

As a vet he naturally sees the problem cases, but that's like any animal, most of the time they bimble along quite happily  :)

sheila

• Joined Apr 2008
  • Mablethorpe Lincolnshire
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 01:43:29 pm »
Well occasionally they are a b***** pain. Like recently I have had a 2year old get up one morning, lay an egg and then die. The same day a new born chick was kicked out of the nest and died. today someone has layed a very tiny queer looking egg but hey! I love them. They entertain me and their eggs are a sell out everyday. If you think you can take the rough with the smooth go ahead and get some!

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 02:04:57 pm »
like all animals they do get ill. but most of the things that they get are dealable its only on the very rare occasion that you need to see a vet. It sounds like this vet was more into the exciting world of horses. now if were talking about animals that like to get ill your average sheep must come first. the horse must come a very close second lots of attention needed there. your average chicken as long as its got the basics will live happily with little fuss. now i like both my Shetland ponies specially when they are being friendly. even the sheep are fun at times. so i guess he was either having a bad day or he hates hens.

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 02:25:06 pm »
yes, he is an old humbug, but chooks do get sick occassionally. but, let's face it, so much cheaper all round than a horse and you can eat em and their eggs.
horses eat pounds and poo pennies. chooks eat pennies and lay eggs.
although i've yet to find a chicken that could pull a plough or a carriage.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 02:52:04 pm »
Some vets can't recognise a good thing when they see it - if you were asking his advice on chickens you were about to get he should have encouraged you - you would go to him if they needed any medication or vet help - he's lost out on that one. Get another vet!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Wellieboots

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 05:47:21 pm »
Chooks are bloody thick thou - I think "not the brightest bauble on the tree...not the sharpest flint in the box etc were all sayings about the daft wazzoks - they are eay to keep thou. ;D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 07:15:32 pm »
you have not met some thick sheep.

Eagledance

• Joined May 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 07:21:15 pm »

As a vet he naturally sees the problem cases, but that's like any animal, most of the time they bimble along quite happily  :)

Very true - as an ex vet I now look at pedigree dogs and think oooh bad hips, ooh dodgy heart etc!!!

Ed
Live well: Laugh often: Love much

lara

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2009, 07:26:04 pm »
I cant wait to get mine- chooks that is
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009, 09:18:20 pm by lara »

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2009, 07:27:24 pm »
Like any animal it's a risk you take. I have had no problems with any of mine and would not be without them. Crap vet I would say.

sandy

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2009, 07:53:14 pm »
I wish I had chickens when my children were young instead of Rabbits who just look cute, at least you get daily rewards and they are fun to watch, not so sure they are that thick, they run fast when there is any treats and I saw one hide behind something so none of the other chickens could see what she had, easy animals to look after, it's children that make the work and cost you money!!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS