Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: boars and gilts together  (Read 6022 times)

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
boars and gilts together
« on: May 10, 2013, 08:20:38 pm »
I am having my 4 weaners tomorrow, 2 boars 2 gilts from the same farrow.I plan on taking the 2 boars to 6 months for pork and the 2 gilts 8-9 months for bacon.Is it ok to keep the boars with the gilts upto 6 months or will they start mating .

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
Re: boars and gilts together
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 09:18:59 pm »
Hi,

If they were mine I would either keep them separate or send the gilts at 6 months and keep the boars to 8-9 months rather than risk the gilts being in pig when the boars go to slaughter.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Hassle

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »
I would also recommend you separate, it depends on the breed as to how soon they mature some as early as 3-4 months

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2013, 05:55:22 pm »
We separate at 16wks if that would give you some breathing space to get something set up to separate them.
HTh mandy :pig:

rockstar

• Joined Jan 2012
  • powys
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2013, 08:08:28 pm »
Thanks for the advice I shall get them parted by 16 weeks.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 06:44:52 pm »
Two years ago Charlotte got knocked up by her son, judging by the dates he was 19 weeks old at the time.... I had a chat with her about "boundaries" after that.... ;D

Liam_86

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 01:14:43 pm »
i have 5 gilts and 3 boars and all live happily together. They are on schedule to go at 24 weeks so im not expecting too much monkey business

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 01:11:25 am »
Hi,

If they were mine I would either keep them separate or send the gilts at 6 months and keep the boars to 8-9 months rather than risk the gilts being in pig when the boars go to slaughter.

Pete

I''m guessing Pete meant boars go at six months and gilts at 8/9. Probably a typo.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 02:08:47 pm »
Hi,

Pete

I''m guessing Pete meant boars go at six months and gilts at 8/9. Probably a typo.
I think he meant gilts go first so they wouldnt be heavily in pig if they had got 'caught', or have I misunderstood?  :thinking:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 09:47:07 pm by Bumblebear »

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 02:39:07 pm »
Hi
As Bumblebear surmised, I meant gilts to go first incase they had been caught and keep the boars longer. With the absence of gilts the boars won't be risking getting boar taint.
Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 12:24:08 am »
Personally, I'd do it the other way round - send the boars off first.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:04:52 am »
me too always
Mandy :pig:

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:28:40 pm »
me too always
Mandy :pig:

My reasoning was based on the assumption that the boars and gilts would be kept together upto that point and there was a chance that the gilts could be in pig (but only just caught).  So rather than keep them and risk them either farrowing or being sent to slaughter when at a more advanced stage I was saying to send them first.  All things being equal it would be the boars I would send first.

Pete
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS