Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with pigs  (Read 1989 times)

Raine

• Joined May 2011
  • Lincoln
Starting with pigs
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:56:10 pm »
 :wave:

We have been to Barlings Rare Breeds in Langworth today and reserved three berkshire boar weaners!  Depending on when we get the area ready we will either collect in four weeks or have to wait six weeks for the second litter to be ready.  They will be eight weeks old and wormed before collection.

We already have sheep, so have a CPH number.  What's next?  Do I contact someone for a herd number for the pigs before they arrive or after?  What else do I need to think about before they arrive?  I know I will need metal tags or a slapper to send them to the abattoir.  The one we are going to use for our sheep in Boston also does pigs, so I know where they will be going to.   

I'll be getting a 8'x6' ark (or should I look at a smaller one for just three?), feeder, mains bowl drinker, electric wire, posts and energiser.  We have loads of room to move them around and they are already used to just a three wire fence.  Any other bits I haven't thought of?

Thank you  ;D
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 07:02:12 pm by Raine »

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
Re: Starting with pigs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:18:01 pm »
Lots of questions, and you'll think of lots more
[advert on]  Buy our book, it will explain all you need to know about keeping pigs, including all the legal bits that others don't explain.  www.oaklandspigs.co.uk [advert off]
You'll want to get your herd no. now, as whilst legally you can do this within 30 days of getting your pigs, you'll need to register with the electronic pig movement system called e-aml2 - website www.eaml2.org.uk/ - all pig movements are electronic.  So go through to your local animal health office and get a herd no.
An 8*6 ark will be fine, and allow you to expand your plans without needing to buy a new one.  However when you get your weaners home, you might want to put a couple of bales of straw in (uncut) to reduce the inside area down a bit - otherwise your weaners will leave their bed in the corner of the ark, and pee and poo still in the ark, as they mentally have left the sleeping area.  Reducing the floor area when they are very small helps them go outside to do their daily !

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 12:51:11 am »
Sounds like you've done your homework, so good luck. Feel free to send me a message if you have any queries. Always happy to talk pigs. Enjoy your first ones.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:46 am »
Check out the Berkshire pig breeders website for info on your breed. Also check the GOS website to read the Getting Started Artciles in the Pig management section. http://www.gospbc.co.uk/category/pig-management/
HTh
mandy :pig:

kja

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 10:24:59 am »
I am sure paul and sarah will be more than willing to answer any questions you have.

you are buying from quality breeders which is a good start  :thumbsup:
we can still learn if we are willing to listen.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS