Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Leaving lambs to self wean?  (Read 4054 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
Leaving lambs to self wean?
« on: May 19, 2013, 06:08:38 pm »
I have 1 shearling ewe with triplets (she has done well for a first timer). To make life easier for myself, I was planning to remove the ram lamb at the end of july, and leave the 2 ewe lambs in with the ewe to self wean. Anyone had any experience with this? I was planning to leave her as a dry ewe next lambing, and then put all 3 to the tup next  year. Thoughts folks? Thanks all

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Leaving lambs to self wean?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:53:48 pm »
That's what we do routinely.  The ewes will have them all weaned by about 5 months, which leaves a couple of months for them to be ready for the tup again.  There are no problems with mastitis that way as the cessation of lactation comes about slowly.   Twin tup lambs coming off at 4 months could mean a greater likelihood of mastitis, but we have never had a problem - milk production has already dropped a fair bit by 4 months anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 11:06:40 pm »
It's exactly what I do too, though I tend not to to take the boys out til August.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 09:14:51 am »
Do you put the ewes on poorer pasture to assist the reduction in milk or just let them do things in their own time?

Calvadnack

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 11:20:34 am »
We leave our ewes to wean their lambs, although all boys are banded and we don't keep a ram.  The ewes just sort it out without all the stress and noise !! 

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 11:58:33 am »
Do you put the ewes on poorer pasture to assist the reduction in milk or just let them do things in their own time?

Just let them do it in their own time.  Carefree and stressfree  :thumbsup:   It's a natural process so we let it proceed naturally.  The only exception would be if lambs are going to new homes in August when they may need a bit of help with weaning - they'll be almost there anyway.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 12:55:43 pm »
Same here, all the boys banded, all left to wean naturally, not done anything special grass wise.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS