Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: When to send my lambs for slaughter?  (Read 11177 times)

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
When to send my lambs for slaughter?
« on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:08 am »
Good morning.  I have 2 male pet lambs, born late March/early April - not so much pets now though!  Will be castrating them this weekend as one of them tried to attack me after I shoved him away from the hen house a few days ago.  I acknowledge that I started it and whether he was playing or did I make him mad I'm not sure.  I know now that next years will definitely be castrated at a much younger age.  :)

So, the burning question, what is the right age to send them to slaughter?  I'm in no rush really but I like to have everything organised as the pigs will be going October/November. 

Thanks!  ;D

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
Re: When to send my lambs for slaughter?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 01:45:56 pm »
Depends on size, they could be ready now! any idea how much they weigh? Hows the castrating being done?

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 02:37:10 pm »
Cant tell by size, they are big enough I suppose but Id prefer if they could get bigger.  It would be better to get someone to check them out for us. 

We are being given the thingy you put around the testicles and it leaves a rubber band at the top to cut off the blood supply.  If we are not confidentant enough while doing it we will get the vet to take care of it for us.  Not too scared of doing it though, and if my husband steps out of line in the future I can threathen him with it!!  :o

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 03:30:36 pm »
NOOOOOO!  dont whatever you do use bands they are too old, you can only band them legally within their first 7 days of life! if you must castrate them you will have to pay a vet to do it, with all due respect you dont sound as though you know much about keeping sheep and really need to get some expert help!

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 03:38:44 pm »
Yes, I agree with you that I don't know too much about keeping sheep.  My main area is in cattle  :cow:.  The farmer who we got the lambs from is loaning the thingy to us but if you think we should not use it then I have no problem getting in the vet instead.  Funny that you didn't object to me using it on my husband!  :D

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 03:42:02 pm »
Ha Ha! if they are big enough you may not need to castrate? anyone in the know you can ask to call in and have a look? Expensive job to get the vet now.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:26:40 pm »
the older farmer/small holder may have some crushers which are banned. Ask your husband if he would be happy with the same being done to him he will be heading for the hills very quickly. but like others it would be highly painful and possibly dangerous to do it. if caught you will be in deep trouble.
 if they are going to be off to the slaughter soon why bother.

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:07:39 pm »
My lambs were born in late March,my pigs are going to be slaughtered in mid August and one of the lambs is going too. Have been told he'll be more than big enough....... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Rollicker

• Joined Dec 2008
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:35:47 pm »
My ram lambs were born mid Feb. Left intact they went to the abattoir last week and came back at 20 kilos each ready to be butchered.

Kerrygirl

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Killarney, Co Kerry
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2009, 09:08:22 am »
Good morning guys,

Thank ye all for your replies.  Have a better idea now of what to do.  Think I will leave them alone re the castrating.  Hubby did run for the hills when I proposed practising on him first!!  :)

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2009, 09:17:28 am »
Funny how I have plaited my legs reading this. :o wince.I agree that you might as well send them off sooner rather than later and intact. Ring the abattoir up and ask them if not sure.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2009, 04:59:44 pm »
I think you would have struggled with the bands anyhow as your lambs will be quite big by now.  I am not keen on castrating anything - thinking of the animal, but alway, always, if I have to do it, its within the first few days, same with disbudding.  Sooner its done, the better.

I would send your lambs in as they are - calling the vet out to castrate them will be costly.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009, 05:25:41 pm »
just a quick question; if in theory i was to buy an in-lamb ewe costing me approx 140-150euro perhaps a muleX or a texalX scanned with twins,

how much (if i had no major complications/losses) should it cost me to rear 2 lambs to slaughter weight(including abbatoir costs)?

at the moment if i was to buy a whole carcass from my butcher it would cost me 120euro.
GEM. X

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:21:23 pm »
i think it would depend on your land how much. what quality. when it was due to lamb. up here were still feeding silage into may. i have never worked it out but be careful that you get a good one. also remember that they are a flock animal so one would be cruel on her. we got our shetlands for between 20 -30 pounds and the cheviots for 40.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:32 pm »
it would be bought shortly before yeaning and as soon as the lambs are a week or 2 old (dagged+tagged) they will be going out with the brother-in laws flock, ewe will then be put in lamb again later on for next year.
GEM. X

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS