Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: If ewe is still pawing after 3 hours dropping first lamb should we 'dive in'  (Read 5946 times)

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
Hi Folks
Surprise lambing, first time mum, 9 weeks after the other lot. We knew she was tupped for a second time after the others, but assumed she had not caught when nothing happened.

So big surprise this morning!! Out in fields with the others. OH found something he thought is afterbirth, but I think it is water sac. We have just managed to get her into inside ( not as easy as it was to type!!).
Question; should we leave it any  longer before we look for a second (all previous multiple births this year, highly unexpected as well).
Problem: My OH is not the shepherd, I am ( I have much smaller hands) but I am pregnant and I am not being allowed near except in a '6 foot away' advisory manner.
Issue: We (He!!) tipped her and others when we (he) did their feet 3-4 weeks ago. Pretty gobsmacked we have one live one, and would not be surprised if there was a dead one inside.

All advice appreciated ( especially as Mum is a long wool and we could do with tipping again to make sure that 1st lamb is not sucking on wool!!)

thanks all
Jo

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
I hope by now you have either felt in side the vagina or pushed on the womb from the outside to decide if a second lamb  . A lamb in the womb floats in a balloon  full of thick fluid, it is designed to protect the lamb  in all positions  including high speed running from a predator :sheep:

norfolk newbies

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Grantham
Well OH has managed to get his hand up, but not very far!  He could not feel anything obvious (except for unhappy ewe contacting in protest) so I guess there is nothing else in there.
Ewe has settled and OH has managed to get lamb connected with treats so lamby has had colostrum at least, so just need to keep an eye on them both.
Ewe still has a tendancy to hunch, and looking not very comfortable, but I am not sure I would be either after all that!

thanks
Jo

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Mine do a sort of "hunching" thing to assist the lamb in suckling (well, I assume it's this). Body goes into a hunched position as the lamb gets under to suck.

Could it be this that you are seeing?

Oh, and just to add that a few of my ewes do paw at the ground AFTER they have had lambs and do this for several days ..... think maybe making a scrape for lambs to lie in ...... usually in the hedges.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:20:00 pm by in the hills »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS