Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sudden death in goose.  (Read 3758 times)

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
Sudden death in goose.
« on: May 18, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »
I have a couple of white "farmyard" geese. Both girls and hatched last year and I got last autumn. They run on plenty of grass and have layers pellets ad lib. They have both had little moments of half hearted broodiness over the last month but generally lose interest after a couple of days.
Wormed 6 months ago so are due to be wormed imminently.

All fine at about 5pm and then when my OH went to put them away in the evening one of them was dead in the house. Sat in her little scrap for all the world is she has just sat down on eggs but stone cold dead. Not a mark on her. No signs of lice or mites. Good weight and breast bone well padded. No discharge from eyes, nose or mouth.

Flummoxed.

Any ideas what killed her?

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Sudden death in goose.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:01:20 pm »
I don't know the answer but we also lost a goose who was apparently perfectly healthy this year, most odd.

Pasture Farm

• Joined Aug 2011
  • East Lincolnshire
  • Trusty Traca
    • Pasture Poultry
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:43:02 am »
We to lost one exactly the same symptoms...None just dead  ???

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 02:58:46 pm »
Had that happen to a chook hen on the nest, my best bet in this case would be she suffered some kind of internal rupture under the strain of egg laying. Artificial diets, particularly those high in hydrogenated oils and anything including refined white salt, can cause that, but doesn't necessarily have to be the cause.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 03:53:51 pm »
Some brighter news is that our goose hatched out 7 goslings today, I have put a vid clip up of them, so sweet!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 04:54:08 pm »
Some brighter news is that our goose hatched out 7 goslings today, I have put a vid clip up of them, so sweet!

:thumbsup:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 06:31:49 pm »

That's great news. :excited:

I will just have to chalk it up to one of those things.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS