Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time breeding advice  (Read 3920 times)

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
First time breeding advice
« on: July 15, 2009, 06:15:08 am »
I have kept sheep for the last 4 years or so, just buying in and fattening but this year I want to try breeding a few (must be mad!!)  I have just 5 ewes and know a little about breeding/birthing and have access to plenty of help but wonder if anyone could give me some simple pointers.  Anyone had their first experience of breeding recently that they could share?  I would ideally like to time it so that births are in the late Spring.  I would like to use a relatively small ram; not really bothered about the breed.  I know there are 101 things that can go wrong but tips to make sure these are kept to a minimum would be appreciated.  Any advice welcome!! 

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: First time breeding advice
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 09:09:13 am »
make sure the ram can do the job quickly. having to wait about 2.5 months drags on.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 01:43:55 pm »
Hi Sue
we bred our first lambs this year, we borrowed an older ram from a friend, he says always use an older ram to younger ewes or older ewes with a younger ram, He went in with them in October, wore a raddle so I noted the dates. We expected our first lambs 13th March, but that ewe didn't lamb until Easter Sunday!
Most importantly, make sure you have someone around if you get difficult births!!
Ours were all fine until the last one, she had a big ram lamb first and needed assistance, my friend came and talked me through step by step, so next time I'm more 'clued up'!
Theres a list of necessary items you'll need, but as long as you have reliable help, go for it, its really rewarding, fascinating if sometimes a little sad, we had a still born, and a rejected lamb, its hard work and I only had 4 ewes!! any questions I'll do my best!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 06:12:17 pm »
Dixie, a list of necessary items needed please?   Like you,I'm borrowing a friends rams and he said he'd help out if needed with the lambing,but would like to keep an eye out between now and then for what I might need,best regards.... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:23 pm »
A good book, 'starting with sheep' by Mary Castell is my recommendation,
Mineral lick for inlamb ewes
A lambing rope
Milk/Colostrum ( we have a goat farm near so had some goat colostrum on standby)
Milk replacer and bottles/teats (I use pop bottles with lamb teats)
A stomach tube
Hurdles to make pens, I penned mum and lambs for 36ish hrs ( although this was not enough for one as she rejected one)
Thermometer
Agrigel lubricant
Hibiscrub
Long gloves (although I never used them, was happy scrubbing with hibiscrub)
Elastrator and bands for tails and balls! (assuming you castrate and dock)
purple spray for navals
Most importantly someone around to show you how to use all the above properly!!!
I've had my ewes for 2 years, they were orphans which we bottle fed, hence very easy to catch/ handle etc, which was great at lambing time.
Thankfully most of the above remains unused but is now kept safe if ever we need it!  HTH

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009, 07:19:00 pm »
get some training before using the stomach tube.

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 07:48:55 pm »
I cant stress enough how important it is to be shown how to use everything properly!

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 10:52:23 am »
I get it I get     ;D   .............. thanks for the list,will keep an eye out for the items........Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS