Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: A question about Ram lambs horns  (Read 1988 times)

thenovice

• Joined Oct 2011
A question about Ram lambs horns
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:55:31 pm »
Evenin all. First time with Wiltshire horns, and I have a couple of Ram lambs, aged 4 weeks and 5 days. I have noticed recently that the tips of the older look a bit jagged, and he has knocked the tip of one. The horn buds on the younger lamb are rough and pitted. Quick ques, is this how they grow and form, or is there another reason for it? Thanks folks :thinking:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: A question about Ram lambs horns
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2013, 10:46:00 am »
I wouldn't worry, horns do tent to look a bit rubbish to begin with, and they will get knocked about.  They will improve in shape in another month or so.

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
Re: A question about Ram lambs horns
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 12:55:44 pm »
If they're not carrying full horn genetics they can grow weak, cuticle-free horns that while horn shaped are better called scurs. Not all scurs are deformed, some just lack proper skull anchorage and cuticle. This lamb I'm raising now got only some proper genes for horns so she's got that.

Might be a breed characteristic to grow crappy horns to start with though, I don't know. They might indeed get better.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS