Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Nettle Soup  (Read 4932 times)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
Nettle Soup
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:25:45 pm »
Is it worth a try????:-\

The children are still trying to get over the delicious dandelion tea .....  ::) . Couldn't see the problem myself  :innocent: ;D

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Nettle Soup
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 04:10:45 pm »
Oh yes!!  As long you include lots of delicious onions, garlic potatoes and cream!!!!!  Cant taste them at all then!!! They are like spinach (but free, and even more iron!).  I use them in soup whenever nice young growing tips are around. wizz it all up and they'll never know!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 04:22:52 pm »
Fi, I'm not convinced  :innocent:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 06:24:17 pm »
We always make it at this time of the year, when the nettles are really fresh.  My wife swears that it reduces all her allergies.

I just love the taste, basically leek and potato soup with the leeks replaced with Nettles.

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 07:20:16 pm »
I am going to have a go at this tomorrow.  Love making experimental soups.  Is it literally just the tips of the nettles I need?  Must find my thick gloves first  :idea:
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 09:22:06 pm »
I just cut the tops off the nettles and only take the lower leaves. I love it, but my family is not convinced... I think it was just because I told them... :-\ , as FiB says... they would have never known otherwise...

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 04:01:31 pm »
Just made it  :thumbsup: .  The jury is out!  Needs black pepper I think.  Yes that's better.  I have to confess to adding a couple tablespoons of evap milk  :o  to 'round' it off.  Certainly would liken the taste to spinach soup so, in the hills, as FiB says, the kids would never know  ;) .
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

Earth Ways

• Joined Dec 2012
Nettle Pesto and Wild Garlic Pesto.
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:23:40 pm »
Great post about Nettle soup, wonderful to hear people gpoing back to basics and the routes of what past generations foraged for off the land. I've been making it for a few years! I love it and so do many of my friends and family.
When i get some time later, I'll post two recipes for Nettle and Wild Garlic Pesto.

Kind regards to all.

June

EarthWays
Founder Ludwig Appeltans

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: Nettle Pesto and Wild Garlic Pesto.
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 02:32:16 pm »
Great post about Nettle soup, wonderful to hear people gpoing back to basics and the routes of what past generations foraged for off the land. I've been making it for a few years! I love it and so do many of my friends and family.
When i get some time later, I'll post two recipes for Nettle and Wild Garlic Pesto.

Kind regards to all.

June

EarthWays

OO yes - love that pesto  - our local pub serve it too!!
Founder Ludwig Appeltans

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 04:44:08 pm »
Going for it at the weekend .... OH away and don't want him to miss out so will wait for his return.  :eyelashes: ;D

The pesto sounds good. Might have a go at that too.

Thanks all.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »
I picked loads last year but did not use them so they were thrown away, I usualy collect wild garlic, that sounds a good addition to nettle soup.  I will have a go but where I get nettles from they may have the added flavor of dog wee wee! :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS