Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hip score and eye test  (Read 11053 times)

sandy

Hip score and eye test
« on: July 14, 2009, 06:54:49 pm »
We are going to get our Lab registered and will have a hip score done, carn't see any figures for her mum but her dad's score was 4/2 and eye test was uneffected by  TRD,GPRA,CPRA,HC (not sure what they mean) how on earth do they test dogs eyes?  Were do you go to in the Clackmannan/Stirling area for the tests and how much will I be expected to pay?

ukag0972

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Argyll
Re: Hip score and eye test
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 07:08:28 pm »
Usually any vet would do these checks!

Cost is also dependant on vet, but your dog will have to be knocked out!

I seriously considered doing it but after researching my dogs parents, there was no history of hip or elbow displasia(spelling), so felt it unneccessary.

I've had 2 litters of puppies and I've seen nearly all of the dogs again and no-one has had any problems.

You also need to check the other dog youre thinking of breeding with.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 09:30:40 pm »
We are going to get our Lab registered and will have a hip score done, carn't see any figures for her mum but her dad's score was 4/2 and eye test was uneffected by  TRD,GPRA,CPRA,HC (not sure what they mean) how on earth do they test dogs eyes?  Were do you go to in the Clackmannan/Stirling area for the tests and how much will I be expected to pay?

I take it you mean the Breed Register rather than the Activity Register? Doesn't she already have a registration certificate?  (If you can come for coffee tomorrow I'll show you mine so you know what you are looking for, and also explain anything else you need) If she isn't already registered you may have difficulty in doing so at her age.  However, the Kennel Club is the first point of contact for that.  They may be able to help if BOTH her parents were registered.  If only her sire is registered then Islay will not be able to be registered.  It will cost £60. Once you have registration papers for her you then need to contact your own vet to ask if they are experienced in x-raying for the KC/BVA hip scoring scheme, and if not can they recommend someone.  The x-ray can cost about £100 to £150 and you will have to pay £35 to the BVA for the hip score evaluation. In addition they should be able to do the same with any of the eye tests that are required for Labradors. - again the Kennel Club website will tell you what the required tests are and what the additional recommended ones are.  I have no idea what the total eye tests cost for the Labrador requirements but as an idea one for PRA for most breeds offered at a dog show is done at a discounted rate and costs about £25, so the total costs may be considerably more.
Currently the Labrador requires the following:Retriever (Labrador) Required - 1) Hip scoring 2) Eye testing Recommended - 1) Elbow grading 2) DNA test - PRA
This is the eye test list, the Health test page link is http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/services/public/glossary/health-tests.aspx
Code    Description
CEA   Collie eye anomaly
CHC   Congenital hereditary cataract
G   Glaucoma
HC   Hereditary cataract
PHPV   Persistent hyperplastic primary vitreous
PLL   Primary lens luxation
PPM   Persistent pupillary membrane
CPRA   Centralised progressive retinal atrophy
GPRA   Generalised progressive retinal atrophy
MRD   Multifocal retinal dysplasia
TRD   Total retinal dysplasia

Let me know if you need any more info.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 09:39:42 pm »

I seriously considered doing it but after researching my dogs parents, there was no history of hip or elbow displasia(spelling), so felt it unneccessary.

I've had 2 litters of puppies and I've seen nearly all of the dogs again and no-one has had any problems.

You also need to check the other dog youre thinking of breeding with.
Sorry, no offence intended, but this is irresponsible.  Eye tests are done annually as they eyes can change regularly - a dog that has no sign of PRA or some of the other eye problems may develop this disease and become blind within a year.  The more dogs of any breed that are tested for the recommended hereditary diseases the more likelyhood of them being eliminated form teh breeding pool.  Currently my own breed only has one required test - HD, and that is in common with a number of breeds.  Mine is a front-ended breed (forward centre of gravity) so the hips may not be a problem even if HD is present, but if we do not continue to test and then breed with low scoring dogs HD will become worse and cause immeasurable pain to a great number of dogs. I will only breed with dogs below the average for my breed which is presently 17; my dogs are scored 7, 7, and 14.  Just because none of your pups have had any problems doesn't mean they aren't carriers and may pass on to their own progeny.

However, I agree very much with your final comment that the sire must also have ALL health certificates in place and current.
Naturally, this doesn't just apply to dogs, but to all breeding animals
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sandy

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 09:53:34 pm »
Thanks for that info, Islay was registered and has a name, it's all a bit complicated, I will pop around about 11.00am with some Bilberries...I am bitten to bits and Ben has been munching on them too!!!! see you tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 10:40:30 pm »
Bring her papers with you and I'll have a look.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009, 04:48:29 pm »
A few years ago my husband bought me a German Shepherd puppy from up near Dingwall. She was 10 weeks old and from a litter of 10 puppies. Her papers were to follow but of coarse never arrived. he was assured both parents were hip scored which we would see on her papers when we got them. I took her to the vet to start her injections and she had a check up, all seemed well. I noticed she was very quite for a puppy, would just curl up beside my older shepherd never keen to play. I started getting real worried when she would cry getting up and took her to the vet to be told she was growing to fast and was put on pills. A week later I took her back and asked them to please x-ray her. She never came home. her hip joints were not right, no ball to fit into a socket and there was nothing that could be done because she was just 20 weeks old. Even the vet was horrified. Turned out that 8 of those puppies never saw adult hood. Just a bitch being bred from to make money. The breeder got what they deserved in the end but it was a terrible experience for our family and i would not want anyone to have to put a puppy down. :dog:

sandy

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2009, 06:58:28 pm »
That is horrid!!! I had a German Shepherd who ended up with bad hips and had to be put to sleep a the age of 10....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2009, 07:04:38 pm »
That's the reason for the KC/BVA hip score scheme and also for the Accredited Breeder Scheme. Always ask to see a Breeders Badge or Certificate

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 09:00:22 pm »
i would never purchase a pedigree/registered dog/pup without seeing both its papers and its parents papers and certs first! had travellers try to pull that stunt with a gsd male (i was searching for a suitable dog to pair with my gsd bitch and stud fees were ridiculous!) apparently the papers were in their wifes car......
needless to say i didnt buy the dog! as he was probably stolen anyway!
GEM. X

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 10:57:55 pm »
Well done!  The more people that are sensible when buying a dog the more healthy animals there will be and the less likely the Beeb will be able to produce another biased programmes again.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2009, 09:49:46 pm »
Was it biased?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 11:34:48 pm »
Most certainly.

sandy

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009, 07:36:23 am »
I suppose TV shows dramatise issues to give the programme more impact. I watched a countryfile one showing both sides to re introducing otters and I saw both sides and could not make up my mind if it was good or bad idea, whereas if I had only saw one half of the argument I would have swayed that way and I am not easily swayed!!!

kingnigel

• Joined May 2009
  • Gainsborough
  • www.zabalaz.co.uk
    • Zabalaz Siberian Huskies
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2009, 03:55:36 pm »
the kennel clubs responce to the tv program
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wvzu41klM_c
kn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS