Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My good deed for the morning!  (Read 4244 times)

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
My good deed for the morning!
« on: May 17, 2013, 07:14:33 am »
Last week or so I have been on the way down to the animals and there has been 7 lambs running around the lane as I got closer they run under the gate! So this morning I have took some stock fencing and tied it on no escaping lambs again! I know farmers are busy these days so always nice to help! Maybe ill get a discount if I buy from him now? ;)

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
Re: My good deed for the morning!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:13:15 am »
 :thumbsup: , a lot of people would not bother, that's great that you have.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:59:53 am »
Ha I wouldnt dare do that around here - its the norm and the grass on the verges is better than their fields!!!  I'm sure some of them make 'lamb runs' deliberately!   Good deed indeed tho enjoy the glow!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:10:30 am »
Must be a Welsh thing FiB.  ;D

Same here .... just the norm. They have their runs and know exactly the way back home.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 10:02:37 am »
I helped our neighbour but one, the fencing is good but they were getting under the gates. As soon as he was popping one in another one appeared at the other gate. Now there is a suspended plank to stop em but I did enjoy rugby tackling them along the verge !! :-)))

Actually repairing it is very impressive tho, going the extra mile!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:12:53 am »
Free range lamb here too (also Wales) ..... should fetch premium price!! :innocent:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 10:45:03 am »
I found some lambs running under a gate once when I was on a Duke of Edinburgh trip in Derbyshire.  We did put them back but I think they probably headed straight out again when we were gone.  Did worry me though as it was a single track road but also a bit of a cut-through between villages which people drove quite fast along.   :(

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:14:12 pm »
The ones on our road are street wise!!!  when they hear a car coming they stay still on the verge!  I think they are 'hefted' to the verge!

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
I am actually in wales! Haha it's right near a main road! So thought it was for the best ;-)

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 04:43:20 pm »
Where abouts are you?

:wave:

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 07:29:02 pm »
North wales :-)

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 10:14:16 pm »
There is lambs out everywhere over here. and on the fell road there is dead lambs everywhere.  Cant understand how so many get hit by cars as the roads are straight so can see lambs a long way off
Graham

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 11:22:51 pm »
My uncle...now long gone, lived in N Wales, he often rescued Lambs and sheep from the steep cliff that was behind  his house, he had his ropes confiscated as there was a thought that he may have persuaded them to go over the cliff!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 12:02:54 am »
See that around here. No matter how much grazing they have escaping is so much fun !

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 07:57:31 am »
Our neighbouring sheep farmer had to put his newly lambed ewes on a different field this year due to poor grazing. They've been wandering out of his fencing willy nilly for days last month and as this road is one that's seen 13 cats killed in 2 years you can imagine its not a nice one for lambs (its only a small road but prison staff seem to think that 70mph is ok as they use it for rat run)
A ewe broke the fence to follow her twins one day, neighbours all stood there hands on head panicked "oh a sheep...what do we do??" so kids and OH and I herded them all back in, rang farmer, helped mend holes in fencing where lambs get out. Job done.
This is the man who opens his hill field every time it snows so the kids can enjoy sledging, pulled 2 alsatians off my sheep (sadly one died - sheep not dog) and is helping me by lending a tup to us this year. I guess its what we do, help each other out. Wish we had road savvy sheep and lambs like you in Wales! I think they are a bit dafter round here (must be the evesham influence  ;)  )
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS