Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: cast sheep + prolapse  (Read 2644 times)

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
cast sheep + prolapse
« on: May 16, 2013, 11:01:41 pm »
hi there I found a sheep cast about a week ago got to it quick, it got up, off it went, seemed fine.
it has happen now three times to the same one, same time of day and same place, 
however this last time i found it had prolapsed, well that's what i think was going on, so helped her up, and with in a one minute it went back in. she walked off. again ok.

so I have been keeping them in a bit on hay as worried she will again get bloat roll over and same thing only i am not there, they are not eating a lot of the hay, and others I think I'll have to let out more. there are not pleased.

So can the rolling on back casting action bring on a prolapse? and so the bloat or pasture is to blame or is it the problem of her prolapse that makes her cast? she did lose a lamb at berth this year.
anything would help I'm going round in circles

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
Re: cast sheep + prolapse
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 12:34:46 am »
Yes I think getting cast can cause a prolapse because there is so much pressure.  Hers does not sound bad, but youll need to keep an eye on it as you are.  Nomally if my adults get bloat it doesnt cause them to get cast, does she have alot of wool, that is the most common cause of gettig cast, or if she is very thin and weak.  Suggest if bloating is a problem putting them on grass for short periods (with mine a few hours) and then taking them off again until they are used to the richness.  Check with the vet re minerals - this may be part of the bloat problem is that a problem??Vet may provide vit b as well to get their gut used to the change to help stop the bloat.  But she sounds like there is something else going on.  What about just keeping her in if she is the only one bloating.  Give her a big pile of grass to keep her happy.  Or put her in a smaller area outside?

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:39:43 am »
Hay is not reccomended for sheep that bloat - although I imagine they won't be eating much hay at this time of year anyway? What breed is it? The heavily wooled breeds seem to get stuck more than the others.

A ewe that lost a lamb, prolapses and gets cast?

Hmmmmmm

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 08:55:43 am »
If your keeping her  :thinking: then getting her shorn will help. Personally she'd be off if she were mine

wonderwooly

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:45 pm »
thanks everybody there all good suggestions, and will have a think on them, yep even the last :thinking:,
although I am a bit stubborn and always like to get closer to the route of the problem, I think the mineral thing
is ringing bells particularly calcium/mag imbalance, had one who needed help recently and this did the trick.
I'll look in to vit B to. there in and out every couple hours or so.
Why should I not give hay to an animal with bloat? always thought this would help dry them out a little if they
have been eating too much fresh spring grass? they will need to eat something..

thanks again

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 08:36:54 pm »
Sorry, to clarify - I meant to put "hay is not reccomended for sheep that prolapse" and not bloat.

I still think you should cull it asap though.  :P

Alicenz

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2013, 01:34:55 pm »
Does she have alot of wool?  That could be causing her to get cast, it may be that she is sitting in the same comfy place after having a feed and getting stuck?  I'm the same - like to give them a chance.  Good luck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS