Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing disaster  (Read 2202 times)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
Lambing disaster
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:32:00 pm »
Out of 5 ewes so far I only have 1 lamb born to an old Mule who was tupped by accident. 1 Suffolk cross was scanned with twins although 1 was dead but didn't have any, 1 had a lovely big healthy looking lamb which was dead the next morning and the other had a tiny lamb which died almost immediately, waiting now for the Texel to lamb she is due to have twins. They have been with my neighbouring sheep farmer throughout, so although I am not happy at least I know that they have had the best of care. The ewes are all getting on a bit and were supposed to go to market last year but somehow I didn't get round to it so this year they definately are going.
On a happier note I have just bought 2 zwartbles and am hoping to get a few more.
Anne

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
Re: Lambing disaster
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:41:47 pm »
 :(  to hear you're not having a good time of it at the moment  :bouquet:
Hopefully things will improve for you with your new stock  :fc:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 12:07:23 pm »
Awww, very sad to hear about the dead lambs. Hope you have more luck with the zwartbles
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 12:12:54 pm »
Upsetting for you Anne and for the ewes, not been the best year for anybody after all,  exciting to look ahead with the Zwartbles though.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:26:20 pm »
I think sometimes it bad for the most experienced folk - the farm I helped out at for lambing had 6 Blue Faces Leister, only 2 lambed, twins and triplets and of them even with individual attention non survived!! So sad but a big leaning curve for me that verging that is born doesn't survive even by getting stove.

They also have a Zwartabes and they are right roughly toughty wee lambs so good days ahead.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 12:10:53 am »
Horrible for you.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS