Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Planning Officer Logic?  (Read 2356 times)

luckylady

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Yorkshire
Planning Officer Logic?
« on: May 16, 2013, 07:38:23 pm »
Just received approval from planning to convert the old milking parlour attached to the farmhouse into an extension  :excited: .  Conditions apply of course and most of them are understandable but one condition states that we have to put in dark wooden windows to maintain the 'current character' of the building.  The 'current character' of the building consists of rotten window and door frames with peeling red/black/green paint (previous owners neglect not ours  :-J ) and the farmhouse it is attached to has traditional cream four paned windows.  So, what we are wondering is what logic is this planning officer using?  Has anyone else had any ridiculous illogical conditions applied to their approved plans?  >:(
Doing that swan thing - cool and calm on the surface but paddling like crazy beneath.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Planning Officer Logic?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 07:51:21 pm »
It might be that they want to maintain a contrast between the house and the former working building element. On our listed building we have permission to convert the attached barn and steading but they have to be just pointed stonework whereas the house has to be lime harled for that reason - to maintain the clarity of the two different parts of the building.

I can kind of understand it if that's what they are aiming for.

Interestingly our planning permission specified for the house we can only paint the windows and front door dark green or white, I asked if the dark green was the estate colours from the estate it belonged to before WWII, but it appeared to be just what they thought of as tasteful.....:-)))

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 08:50:02 pm »
I got a phone call from a new planning officer, after I had been granted a temp habitation certificate and had been living in my house for 2 months.  She wanted the chimney stack to come through the apex instead of through the roof line as in the plans.  She said it was in keeping with the other houses in the area.  I looked out my window and saw 5 out of 7 houses with chimneys through the roof and asked her if she realised it would mean moving the fireplace.  She replied that if that was what was necessary I had to do it.  I then asked her if she would pay for the demolition and rebuilding in that case and she flew off the handle.  She hadn't seen the certificate in my file and I apparently had no business applying for temporary habitation.  :innocent: 

I asked to be put through to her boss as it was him who had suggested it so I didn't have to rent the cottage any longer, and she hung up. So I called him and explained what just happened, he apologized and said a full certificate and an apology would be in the post.  :thumbsup:

Little tin gods!  :rant:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 09:50:48 pm »
Not planning office but when buying a house a few years back, the mortgage company made certain stipulations. Rewiring and have the house checked and, if necessary, treated for woodworm I could understand, but why did we have to replace the old Belfast sink with a stainless steel one?

Orinoco

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 10:21:02 pm »
So far I like our conservation officer and feel he is tryig to help but says first things have to be in keeping then we can make parts stand out as modern as the floor to ceiling windows obviously were not of the original 'design' so we could clearly show them as a modern addition as at the end of the day a barn was built / repaired with what was at hand at the time, so a mismatch of era's is acceptable.  All good unless you are new to grade 2 and thought you knew what they wanted.  Wish there was a book.

Moleskins

• Joined Sep 2009
  • England
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 10:35:29 pm »
I was told of a conservatory which was turned down due to 'excessive fenestration'
Which I assume means too many windows - in a conservatory.
You couldn't make it up, some of the stupid things these people come up with, they are even worse than the building control officers.
Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS