Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Saddleback boar - free to good home  (Read 2607 times)

SPINNEYBARNS

• Joined May 2013
Saddleback boar - free to good home
« on: May 16, 2013, 06:53:10 pm »
Our saddleback boar is available free to good home - Boycie is an extremely well tempered, mild mannered chap and is a pleasure to own. He does the job, has sired 2 litters and is nearly 2 years old.  He lives out with shelter and has been turned out with weaners and is no problem. We just do not have the room to keep him anymore and would like him to go to a nice home.   We are in East Northants area - please ring for more details - 07701 007353 

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Re: Saddleback boar - free to good home
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 11:54:58 pm »
Why don't you just turn him into sausages, or is boar meat tainted?
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 09:43:14 am »
Spinnybarns if your boar is pedigree put a note on the Saddleback Clubs's website, people are usually looking for saddleback boars especailly decent ones.
Good luck with finding a home for him.
Mandy :pig:
Spandit, don't think the OP likes the idea of sausages for their pet and the meat would certainly be stronger more gamey at that age. Apaarently very good for salami, chorizo etc.

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 03:09:57 pm »
I'll speak to Harlow Pets Corner, their boar has become sterile and they have a loaner at the moment.

SPINNEYBARNS

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »
Hi - thankyou for your replies, I think we have a home for him now, @spandit - our usual butcher did not want him as the meat would be no good and he was too big for them to deal with (he is a monster size!), and to be honest we did not want him to go for meat.  Sorry to sound a bit soppy, even though we send pigs to the butchers all the time we didnt want him to go!  He was not papered so could not sell him as pedigree although his markings are spot on, and all the offspring have been identical to him. Have never met such a well mannered boar who was happy with any company as long as he had someone. Until he goes to his new home he is currently turned out with our last finished pig that is about a third of his size!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:18:33 pm »
Pleased to hear you have a potential home lined up for him - he does sound a lovely chap.  I also agree that not everything has to go in the freezer and there is certainly nothing wrong with being sentimental with your animals and having a soft spot for them.  I have several sheep that I just can't bear to see go for meat and so they are still with me and having the life of riley  :innocent:  ;D

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 07:29:48 pm »
Sorry if I appeared harsh - it's something I'd be unable to do so completely understand
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS