Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bl**dy Rooks!  (Read 1813 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Bl**dy Rooks!
« on: May 16, 2013, 03:21:29 pm »
We seem to have been feeding up the rook population of West Cornwall through our chicken feeding! They are very wiley and wait until we are out of the picture before descending on the chicken run and polishing off all the feed  :rant:
So, we decided to fight back and erected a scaffold over the run which we then covered with pigeon netting (100mm sqs in tough nylon) Our run is 8m by 8m. We finished it all off yesterday and were very pleased with ourselves  :excited:

However...... the flipping rooks have discovered that if they fly at full pelt they can get through the squares in the netting Aaaaargh! They do get a bit freaked out when we appear and will bounce off the inside of the netting a few times in their attempts to get out, but they always do  :rant: So far we have got through 20kg of feed on, theoretically, 4 non laying hens and 1 cockeral.....

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
  • WARNING,,,MAY SAY WHAT HE BELIEVES
    • Facebook
Re: Bl**dy Rooks!
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 04:56:00 pm »
my farmer pleads with me to shoot as many as possible... they peck the wrappings of the bails..
there are thousands around

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 05:16:25 pm »
At one time there was a bounty on rooks and crows as well as foxes, what ever happened. When I was younger most shooters every year had a go at cutting the numbers down. I have never in my life seen as many magpies and buzzards no wonder small birds are in decline.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 05:49:47 pm »
Somebody told me today that rooks were protected, surely that's not right is it.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 08:03:59 pm »
all corvids are on the licence... the only corvids that get protected are the ravens at the tower of london..but if they were to fly away and cross over someone's field..they could legally be shot

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 11:56:28 pm »
all corvids are on the licence... the only corvids that get protected are the ravens at the tower of london..but if they were to fly away and cross over someone's field..they could legally be shot

Bit difficult seeing as their wings are clipped! :D
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

john and helen

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Devon
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 05:57:40 am »
 :thinking: on this occasion we will accept walking too :roflanim: :roflanim:

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 06:24:15 am »
Replace the plastic netting with chicken wire----you will have rook flavoured chips !

You don't see gamekeepers nest poking these days, the idea is to wait till the rookery is sitting on eggs then shoot from underneath , to thin the buggers out.  :thumbsup:

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 11:44:59 am »
Get yourself a larsen trap. The hang a few dead rooks around the place.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS