Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Eating a fox injured chicken  (Read 2374 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Eating a fox injured chicken
« on: June 02, 2013, 10:31:57 am »
This is a theoretical question, as don't have chickens yet...

If one of my chickens was mortally injured by a fox, would it still be safe to eat, assuming bowels hadn't been punctured etc.?

Does anyone here eat their own chickens on a regular basis or are they only kept for the eggs? My wife would like to keep bantams in an orchard
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
Re: Eating a fox injured chicken
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 12:25:51 pm »
Wouldn't risk it Spandit. The mouths of foxes are filthy as they eat carrion -rotting meat. Who knows what diseases you could catch?

We eat our excess cockerels from 20 -26 weeks old. Not much on a bantam though. About the size of a pigeon.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 12:29:17 pm »
No I wouldn't either.  To be honest I haven't even eaten any the dogs caught.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

F.CUTHBERT

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 04:47:51 pm »
I don't see any problem health wise, I assume you are intending to cook this imaginary bird properly.
It wouldn't be all that different from eating a pheasant or duck that had been shot and retrieved by a gun dog or even a bird that had been pegged by a dog on a shoot.
I think the problem would be unlike a soft mouthed gun dog the fox would crush and bruise the meat resulting in internal bleeding turning it black.
I suppose it all depends on how hungry you are, hungry enough and maybe even the fox would start looking good

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2013, 10:50:50 am »
I personally wouldn't because even stress alone can ruin the meat, never mind pain with stress. When an animal is distressed enough its kidneys release toxins which pollute the meat and in some cases actually turn it effectively poisonous. Dogs can thrive on diseased and damaged corpses, but we don't have the stomachs of dogs.

However you can try it, of course, some people (certain asians etc) quite like traumatized meat, through slow death or whatever it be. It is distinctly different from calm meat, I've tried both and won't ever cull a bird for meat if it was distressed, the damage to the flesh is so noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 10:53:15 am by sh3ph3rd »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS