Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: new incubator.  (Read 3447 times)

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
new incubator.
« on: May 15, 2013, 08:39:21 pm »
Hooray it finally came and l can now get it sorted.  The temp control seems a bit touchy, and the thermometer is not showing exact temperature, anyone had this?  What temp do l need for duckies and is the thermometer reliable and right?  Anyone?  I expect it will work out with experience, am getting quite enthusiastic about this.  Must get out more.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
Re: new incubator.
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 10:29:16 pm »
Sorry, can't help with the questions, just loved this:

Must get out more.

:D :D

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 10:40:31 pm »
Hi Milly  :wave:

What type/make incy is it?  Not an eggspert ('scuse the pun  ;D  ) myself, but sure my OH will know.
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:14 pm »
Manual should suggest the right temp for various eggs? My incubator suggests 37.5° for ducks but I've a book that says a bit lower so it's at 37.3°. Too early to tell whether it'll be successful yet - first hatch due next week. I've had more problems with the humidity though - had it set at the suggested level plus spraying twice a day but when I checked them after 14 days, they'd already lost 10% of their weight (supposed to be 14% over 28 days) so I've increased the humidity and have my fingers crossed.

H

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 05:11:30 pm »
Its a Brinsea 20 and having to weigh eggs and deal with humidity never occurred to me.  So much easier to let the hens do it. I shall be a quivering wreck by July getting this right.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 08:25:13 pm »
Its a Brinsea 20 and having to weigh eggs and deal with humidity never occurred to me.  So much easier to let the hens do it. I shall be a quivering wreck by July getting this right.
I now know why I leave fiddly stuff like this to my OH - sounds far to complicated by far  :o   
Now pigs ...  :innocent:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Mammyshaz

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Durham
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:43:44 pm »
MM I've just used one for a first ever hatch. It was fiddly to get the correct temperature. We bought a reptile meter with accurate temp and humidity. It took a few hours for the temperature to settle each time we altered it so took a few days to perfect it then it needed lowered at stages through the hatch as temperatures Rose.
The biggest problem I found was humidity. Dry was only 25% we struggled to keep it above 50 for the hatch which I'm blaming for a few deaths in shell  :'(  We ended up putting a cloth in the bottom and dribbling water on twice daily to try to keep the humidity up once one was stuck in the membrane, confirming the need to drastically try raising the humidity.

My advice is prepare it well ahead. We were panicking as the eggs were on the way and we were still fiddling  :o
Good luck with the hatch  :fc:

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 11:34:42 pm »
Have to say having used other incubators I like the the brinsea 20. 

Think incubator hatching is innately more anxious than using a broody as technology never seems to manage the miracle that the stupidest chicken can! And there is far too much temptation to fiddle which is why I now set eggs to hatch whenI am in work but maybe that is just me!

37.5C is what I usually use for ducks and decrease to 37.2C in the last 3 days as they produce a lot of heat on their own at this stage. I increasingly run the incubator dry for the 1st 25 days and the up the humidity for the final 3 days.

Victorian Farmer

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 10:52:31 am »
The only way is firstly note every think that you do .The humidity should not be a problem see Whit it is out side iff its 60 persent it should be OK till the last week put cloth in and soak it to get it up high best of luck .

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS