Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First bit of weaving on my loom  (Read 8539 times)

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
Re: First bit of weaving on my loom
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 10:20:48 am »
Weaving is one of the things I'd still like to do in this life - but it ain't cheap, and you need at least some space... At the moment I have neither money nor space, so it'll have to wait!

with you there!!!  Ah well we'll just have to gaze admiringly at others's work... Fantastic cloth Bionic - can I order some table mats???!!!!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 10:27:22 am »
Fi, I was thinking of table mats for my next project. I was looking in the weaving book and you make them all in one go, leaving spaces in between and then just cut them apart.
I might make some for my sister for christmas. She has a yellow dinning room with red touches. Sounds a bit bright but it looks lovely. Now need to search for the right colours.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 11:27:23 am »
.. I then HAD to go looking for ones I really could buy (I am doing up a static caravan at the mo - so have a bit of 'permission' and a budget to buy stuff!!) - they are around £7-10 each on Etsy (sets of 4 at 29-40 quid)- does that sound like a new income stream to you - or are they MUCH more work than that?!

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2013, 11:44:17 am »
Fi, as I am really new to this the warping up is a right pain in the $£*&, but the weaving was quick and fairly simple
I think to someone who knew what they were doing then it could be a nice little earner if there was enough of a market. I'm not in that league yet.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2013, 06:37:36 pm »
Fi, as I am really new to this the warping up is a right pain in the $£*&, but the weaving was quick and fairly simple
I think to someone who knew what they were doing then it could be a nice little earner if there was enough of a market. I'm not in that league yet.

well, warping aside - you are!!!!  You must be so pleased!

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 10:14:18 pm »
Good colours  :thumbsup:

I can't remember what sort of loom you're using?

Yeh, after the rigid heddle, which you warp in an hour, I have had to settle myself to it taking two or three evenings to warp either my floor or table looms. I keep telling myself it's all part of the process....... ;)

Weaving is one of the things I'd still like to do in this life - but it ain't cheap, and you need at least some space... At the moment I have neither money nor space, so it'll have to wait!
Well, if you keep your eyes open, rigid heddle looms come up on preloved and so on - they don't take up much space. And the charity shops round here often have yarn - often knitting yarn - which you could use on a rigid heddle loom  :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:16:18 pm by jaykay »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 10:39:56 pm »
When I was weaving professionally I soon learned to put on a long enough warp to make several things. Four hours to warp the loom for a scarf plus an hour and a half to weave it = five and a half hours. four hours to warp the loom plus six scarves at an hour and a half each = less than two and a quarter hours per scarf. Depending on how much warp your loom will take, you should be able to make at least two sets of four table mats. I usually left it all on the loom with items separated by several loom sticks or thick cardboard.

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2013, 07:27:22 am »
Lesley I MUST meet you!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2013, 07:08:01 pm »
Any time.  :)   I'm only about an hour and a half from you.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 07:10:40 pm by Mad Goatwoman of Madeley »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS