Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Overweight Labrador  (Read 87535 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Re: Overweight Labrador
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 09:46:16 am »
I have just noticed the November postings sorry all.

He is less than he was, but still has a way to go.  I am going to get a velcro muzzle for him over the Christmas period to keep temptation out of reach.  It is a hard slog, because he still steals.  As soon as my back is turned he has found something.  This week he got hold of the entrails of the cockerals I had processed.  I couldn't believe it!  I had them in a dustbin at the table I was working at outside.  I dashed in for the phone and stupidly left the door open.  I was only a few minutes, but there were feathers everywhere and the remnants of the yukky stuff.  He did't get dinner that evening but he feasted on the leftovers of 6 large birds, feet and all.  He is a nightmare.

Anyway a working progress.  It frustrates me so much, because Deefor the yellow lab never steals, nor do the others really. Harvey the PBGV is a hunter and will eat his kill, but he then refuses his dinner, as does the Daisy the Jack, and Acro the French farm dog,  so there is no problem with them at all.

All I can say is doing my best, and he is reducing slowly. 

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 07:00:45 pm »
You have to have a sneaking admiration for his persistance and determination, though!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 08:26:59 pm »
Have you tried the hot mustard sandwich yet?  I know of a number of dogs it has worked on, including a very greedy Cocker we owned some years ago.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2008, 04:50:59 pm »
I will do that - he is a blighter and it certainly wont hurt him to teach him a bit of a lesson!!

As a side issue, I cut his toe nails today; his seem to grow so much faster than the other dogs. What a baby!! He blubered all around the house.  He might be a giant, but he is a wuss of the worst kind!!

Kate  :P

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2008, 09:36:50 pm »
Aww, poor baby.  I have a couple like that.  And when they see the dental scrape coming out of the bag all four of them are suddenly invisible ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2008, 08:49:37 am »
I have never used a dental scrape - is it difficult to use?

From puppies I have always given my lot marrow bones.  Harvey is five now and the oldest, and he like the others has pearly whites and no discolouration at all.

I know you can get doggy tooth paste and alsorts, but have never thought to go that route.

Is it something I should think about as they get older, or are they too old to start?

Kate  :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2008, 10:33:50 am »
You only need it if there is a real build up of tartar on the canines and molars/premolars.   It's plaque and although big knuckle bones will remove most of it there is sometimes the start of a black line at the gum - that is the start of decay and should be removed. Either by yourself if you feel confident or by your vet.  You can buy these in some pet stores - possibly also on line, haven't looked.(will do and post a link) But I got an old one from my own dentist if I find them.  Dogs don't like it very much but mine are used to it, but I think a vet would put them under first - you could ask them.  Same with cutting nails - some vets put them under for that and that's an easy job, again if they are brought up with it.
Hope that helps
Annie
edited to provide link to dental tools - not expensive £3 or so http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools/dental-tools.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2008, 06:16:56 pm by doganjo »

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2008, 05:32:43 pm »
Thanks Annie!

Kate  :)

indigosteve

• Joined Mar 2021
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2021, 12:34:31 am »
You only need it if there is a real build up of tartar on the canines and molars/premolars.   It's plaque and although big knuckle bones will remove most of it there is sometimes the start of a black line at the gum - that is the start of decay and should be removed. Either by yourself if you feel confident or by your vet.  You can buy these in some pet stores - possibly also on line, haven't looked.(will do and post a link) But I got an old one from my own dentist if I find them.  Dogs don't like it very much but mine are used to it, but I think a vet would put them under first - you could ask them.  Same with cutting nails - some vets put them under for that and that's an easy job, again if they are brought up with it.
Hope that helps
Annie
edited to provide link to dental tools - not expensive £3 or so http://www.indigo.com/tools/gphtools/dental-tools.html
Thanks for the link but we sold that domain 3 years ago. We still carry them at: https://www.indigoinstruments.com/tools/dental_tools/.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2021, 10:30:34 am »

Thanks for the link but we sold that domain 3 years ago. We still carry them at: https://www.indigoinstruments.com/tools/dental_tools/.
[/quote]This thread ended three years ago  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS