Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: hens sleeping in nest box  (Read 1824 times)

lars64

• Joined Mar 2013
hens sleeping in nest box
« on: May 13, 2013, 11:33:39 pm »
Some of our hens are sleeping in the nest box instead of on the perches with the obvious consequences.  Is blocking off the box at night a good solution?  These are all young hens, we've had them about a month.  Also the rest of the girls all crowd onto one of the perches, leaving the identical one empty.  Strange & I've no idea how to fix that one!

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
Re: hens sleeping in nest box
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 11:37:36 pm »
Are the perches higher than the next boxes? Believe that can help. Mind you, I've got two or three hens that have never gone onto their perch to roost (posted about it a while ago). They're brooding now (in the nest boxes) but prior to that they huddled together in a corner, leaving just a couple on the perches (designed for up to twenty hens).

H

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 04:30:31 am »
I'd definitely break the habit of sleeping in the nest boxes Lars64. We put plant pots in at night. Otherwise you will get poo on eggs and breed lice and mites in the boxes. They will sort themselves out on the perches. Young birds will roost together anyway.

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:45:42 am »
We had this problem and solved it by spreading some easibed/shavings on top of the nest boxes.  The hens decided they liked this better than sleeping in the actual nest boxes and now roost on top instead, which is much preferably (no more dirty eggs!). 

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 03:22:02 pm »
Mine started to do this a couple of summers back.  After investigation, I discovered redmites under the perches ,.......and they were coming out at night.No wonder the birds did not like roosting there.  Took some shifting, but once gone, the hens moved back to the ;perches.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS