Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Painting huge metal barn roof  (Read 5323 times)

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
Painting huge metal barn roof
« on: May 13, 2013, 07:10:09 pm »
I estimate the barn we're buying has a roof area of 550m2, which will need about 40 litres of paint. Wondering if there were any recommendations on what to buy (it's a rusty corrugated iron roof) and how to apply it
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: Painting huge metal barn roof
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 10:22:55 pm »
don't know anyone whose tried to paint a rusty tin roof - anything designed to go on rusty metal is likely to be pricey though.

I suppose if I were to do it I'd wire brush off the loose rust/ dirt and maybe put on some of this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111013660729?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

as a 'primer' and then normal paint on top.

TBH if the tin is old, thick stuff in fair condition (i.e. not rusting through) i'd leave it and see - may take years to go through. If it's in poor condition already they I'd consider replacing with new rather than re-using the old stuff.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:50:12 am »
I have no plans to paint a large metal roof over our hanger. It would probabley be cheaper to take down any rusty pannels and replace them.
If you have a rusty roof then then I would take great care how you move across it.
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 09:13:06 am »
I'm with MAK. Proper straight to rust paint applied in sufficient quantity to make a difference will cost more than new sheets.......

spandit

• Joined Mar 2013
  • East Sussex
    • Sussex Forest Garden
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2013, 11:46:44 am »
Fair enough... I'll wait to see how badly rusted it is before making a decision. Some of it is fairly new but it looks pretty horrid being all sorts of different colours...
sussexforestgarden.blogspot.co.uk

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2013, 10:40:31 pm »
Around here you get gangs who will spray your buildings, I was advisd to have mine done with bitumen as it seals small holes but I have not had it done yet.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS