Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rescues are home  (Read 1566 times)

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
Rescues are home
« on: May 13, 2013, 12:02:53 pm »
Yesterday we collected our rescue hens.
We had reserved sixteen, and we also took an extra one with an abscess because I couldn't leave her behind.
They have all settled in surprisingly quickly, we had seven eggs this morning when I went to let them out!

They are very inquisitive but don't like the pop hole idea, they would rather wait for the main door to open. They are all a bit bare in places, but one in particular is almost completely bald from the neck down.

There are three we are keeping a close eye on but they are mostly just getting used to life outside and learning to be chickens. I tried to post a pic yesterday but I've not worked out how to make the file small enough yet :P

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Rescues are home
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 12:06:30 pm »
Good luck with your new hens. 7 eggs already sounds as if they are going to settle in nicely.  :chook:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 05:29:43 pm »
Well done Zoe we also collected 6 rescues today and their settling nicely. We have them isolated from our others for now incase they bring in anything with them, although normally treated or inoculated they can still carry; ours are in very good condition Im pleased to say, good luck with yours  :thumbsup:

zoe_emma

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:01:13 pm »
We only have these ones so isolation wasn't a problem for us.

They are really starting to show their characters now. Not sure how but one of them seems to be collecting eggs from all the others and sitting on them herself. Three or four most days. I wanted to get some hatching eggs to put under her but OH is having none of it, says we'll get stuck with a load of cockerels.

happygolucky

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 07:42:57 pm »
 :thumbsup: :thumbsup: good news all round, for you, and the hens!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS