Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Willows new friend  (Read 8932 times)

tizaala

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Dolau, Llandrindod Wells,Powys
Re: Willows new friend
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2013, 05:13:11 pm »
So when they break out and wander off and get carted away to a rescue centre , nobody will have a clue where they came from and be able to reunite them with you ! Because they will be UNIDENTIFIABLE... :thinking:

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »
I didn't think you could move goats without ear tags
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 06:30:05 pm »
They've got the tags Mojocafa - but they aren' t in the goats ears.
Tizaala makes a good point about them wandering, I'd hate to lose one of mine with the added fear that they weren't traceable.   Bit like our cat and dog being microchipped isn't it? (as well as keeping defra happy...)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »
So when they break out and wander off and get carted away to a rescue centre , nobody will have a clue where they came from and be able to reunite them with you ! Because they will be UNIDENTIFIABLE... :thinking:

or if they get stolen!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 09:48:55 pm »
I thought if you were inspected, there would be a problem if they weren't tagged even if you have the tags.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2013, 10:08:34 pm »
Didn't say nowt :thumbsup:

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2013, 08:54:53 am »
Defra will now accept an ankle tag (as well as an eartag...) https://www.thetags4u.com/gb/product.php?productid=16390&cat=345&page=1

Worth it for ID

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2013, 08:57:15 am »
We have tattoos and ear tags so even if some unscrupulous toad removes ear tags after stealing the goat the tattoo is still there.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:35 am »
Defra will now accept an ankle tag (as well as an eartag...) https://www.thetags4u.com/gb/product.php?productid=16390&cat=345&page=1

Worth it for ID
so are those aswell as ear tag or instead of ?
Graham

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 01:29:32 pm »
as well as - they are meant to be double eartagged!

heidih

• Joined Aug 2012
  • walsall
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »
theres no chance of them geting out and "wandering off" as they well secured. :innocent:
mom of 3 daughters. and a stepson, partner of carl and mommy to 2 nanny goats , 10 chooks. 4 ducks. 2 cats and 2 rabbits with their 7 babies, support worker in CRITICAL CARE and craft maker .:)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 10:26:49 pm »
What about theft? Can anyone get into your garden? That's my big dread although anyone would have to go through my neighbour's garden and climb the fence to get into mine but it's doable.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 06:27:21 am »
I remember that spate of thefts last year, it coincided with the end of a big religious feast (ramadam?)  People were stealing goats and sheep willy nilly, it was awful.
We aren't too close to Birmingham here but there was still a lot of worry  :-\  And someone on here had goats stolen didn't they? but managed to get them back. Scary thoughts

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 07:29:37 am »
Thank god ours are safe, anyone coming up here have to either come over the river or up the drive and as soon as they touch the gravel on the drive we know they are out there, or at least the dogs do  ::)
2 wolfhounds and a German shepherd are not to be messed with and wont even start on the little dogs reaction  :innocent:
Graham

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2013, 07:51:00 am »
Thank god ours are safe, anyone coming up here have to either come over the river or up the drive and as soon as they touch the gravel on the drive we know they are out there, or at least the dogs do  ::)
2 wolfhounds and a German shepherd are not to be messed with and wont even start on the little dogs reaction  :innocent:

;D   I think our pup would probably go and greet them and show them where the car keys are  ::)

I might moan about how steep everything is here but it sure helps with security!  as does having the goats in view of our bedroom window. 

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS