Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with sheep in France  (Read 4692 times)

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
Starting with sheep in France
« on: May 12, 2013, 06:39:53 pm »
Hi
we have about an acre of pasture on which I would like to keep a few sheep. My thoughts are either to obtain some orphans at lambing time or more probably obtain a couple of young ewes. The dilema is that we live in western France. Is there anyone out there who could .help with some info, breeds etc paperwork or any suggestions etc.
Many thanks

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
Re: Starting with sheep in France
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »
An acre? less than 5000 square metres? Are you planning on raising the lambs for meat? to keep the grass down? Other?
I live in brittany and keep sheep I think there are a few others from France on here too.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 07:34:03 pm »
Thanks for the response, yes to keep the grass down and for meat to be consumed by us.

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 11:47:16 am »
For the size of land and the difficulties of keeping a ram I would think that keeping a couple of lambs to bring on for slaughter would keep the grass down and  provide you with meat at the end of the season. In which case breed is likely to be whatever your local friendly farmer keeps usually a suffolk mix or rouge de l'ouest.  lambs should should  ready tagged all you would need would be numèro du cheptel. 

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 07:19:56 pm »
Do you speak French? How is your written French? (there are forms to fill in). Do you want to breed (you don't really have enough land) or just buy in stock lambs? Either way, you legally have to register (numèro de cheptel). There will be a fee to pay, plus you will be invoiced each year (amount varies).

What area are you in (e.g. Brittany)? This website is good, the French isn't too difficult to follow but depending where you live, you may be in a different area when applying for your numèro de cheptel :
http://agriculture.gouv.fr/identification-et-tracabilite

Will say at this point; only buy from sellers with a holding number - sheep should have a tag in each ear, one of which must be electronic. Get the movement papers correctly filled in when you collect. But before all that make sure you have good fencing and are ready to take them.

Buy a basic first aid kit, plus wormer and Butox and some foot paring shears. And some violet spray. Your vet will have most of these items, the rest you will find in places like Agrial.

You will have to have your sheep blood tested each year for Brucc. And register your flock with your vet - both of you fill in the form (and the vet will stamp it) which you will receive from the governing body confirming him as your designated vet.

Is that enough to get you going!? Any more info needed, just ask.
 :farmer:   :sheep:

« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 09:22:15 pm by OhLaLa »

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:36:06 pm »
Oh La La blood testing for brucellosis  -assuming sheep are going to be retained over the winter and not bought in from tested flock should be tested every three years not every year. You may have had to do it twice in a row if your flock was out of synch with the regular testing.

MAK

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Middle ish of France
    • Cadeaux de La forge
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 07:45:08 pm »
I know of responsible people in the 87 who are selling lambs and can guide you thru the paperwork and give good advice. We bought our 3 GOS from them last week and they are very nice people. PM me if you are near 87 and would like their details.
they sell GOS to Belgium and northern France so may be able to deliever to you.
OhlaLa has shared the detail of keeping sheep but I wonder how many you would keep on the plot. Best of luck. 
www.cadeauxdelaforge.fr
Gifts and crafts made by us.

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2013, 08:57:38 pm »
.....blood testing for brucellosis  - assuming sheep are going to be retained over the winter and not bought in from tested flock should be tested every three years not every year.....
I believe this depends on the dept (and the type of farm).
 :thinking:

Once we know the location of the o.p. we can maybe point them more accurately in the right direction as at this stage I don't know what dept/gov body they come under.

:farmer:   :sheep:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2013, 06:15:12 am »
Brittany is every three years

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS