Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Recommendation please for goose incubator  (Read 2034 times)

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
Recommendation please for goose incubator
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:50:44 am »
Person looking after my place while we were on holiday brought his dogs and they ate all the pile of goose eggs on the nest  ::) , thought they had stopped laying but hey presto, one was laying again yesterday. SO, would like to buy an incubator - won't use it for anything else, just the geese and so just want something cheap but reliable (is that possible?) for doing say 6 or so would be fine.

Anybody out there any recommendations?  Thanks in advance.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

graham-j

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Canterbury Kent
Re: Recommendation please for goose incubator
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 03:08:48 pm »
Hi I manged to hatch this lot in a brinsea octagon eco 20.You can pick them up second hand for about £90 on ebay with out the turning cradle.I always turn goose eggs by hand any way.Always turn them end over end don't rotate them.

Graham

Graham.

Beeducked

• Joined Jan 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 04:31:24 pm »
I also used a Brinsea Octagon 20 for my hatch and they seem to do well. Ran it dry which is what I was recommended for Brecon Buffs as losing enough moisture can be a problem apparently. I only got 3 but that has to do with the power cut at a pretty crucial time. Now if there was one with a battery back up I would be very interested.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 08:11:35 pm »
Amanda - mine will be lying idle for a few weeks (I have run out of accommodation for any hatches.. ;) ), so if you want to me to put some more eggs in mine I can do that for you. I maybe would prefer to keep it here, as I do rely on it for all my chicken replacements now after the disaster of buying in POL last year. But I would hatch some for you, the two I have got from your previous batch are just the right number for us this year.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 08:31:28 pm »
thanks all, lovely pics graham-j I'm quite jealous and I didn't know that about end over rather than rotating - good tip.

thanks Anke, I may do that - am surprised someone is still laying - I've only got 2 eggs so far so will have to wait for a bit to get more or it's not worth it.  Will wait to see how many I get - hopefully I could get 8 again and give you a share of the hatchlings if they're successful as yours may not survive - we had 3 deaths last year at about 5 weeks old although I think if they weren't with the parents they would have had a better chance.

will get back to you either way by the weekend, thanks Anke.
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS