Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Youngsterrrr  (Read 1607 times)

AnnaLouise2012

• Joined Jul 2012
Youngsterrrr
« on: May 12, 2013, 12:48:12 am »
 :wave: Hi All,

You may or may not remember me buying a youngster back in December (Arab X colt) and he is my absolute dream of a horse. He's now nearly 14 months, growing lots and finding his cheeky personality.

Looking for some advice. He's fine with me touching his back, grooming, cuddles, etc but HATES rugs, numnahs, roller pads, coats (anything like that) touching his back! Even though he wore a rug pretty much all the time from end of December to early April. He hates it being put on and taken off but fine when on his back. Obviously now he doesn't wear a rug but I've been trying a roller pad and he hates that too. I don't want him getting to winter and being even worse! Any tips? I've tried putting it on the minis, wearing it myself, getting him to walk over it, etc but nothing changes his mind and it's a wrestling match to get it on him...slowly gaining his trust in the rug just enough to get it slowlyyyy on his back and done up. But it's a palava every time! Any tips would be welcome!

ScotsGirl

• Joined Dec 2009
  • Wiltshire
Re: Youngsterrrr
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:00:14 pm »
Is he tickly? You could try some Parelli techniques with him. With head collar on and lead rope rub his neck with a long stick or heavy schooling whip then move all over his body. When he is happy with that tie something on the end so eventually you can rub him all over with a plastic bag.

Something might have frightened him or pinched him and as he is so young it will take time to gain his trust again.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 12:32:58 am »
My youngster Toto is just coming up to a year and has never been a problem with his rugs, just stands there. have you tried feeding him while he gets his rug on. If he has the Arab skin it could be that he is extra sensitive. Are his rugs a good fit, Toto is on his 3rd as he has out grown the others so quickly. I would suggest just taking your time and try not to make an issue out of it but reward him when he behaves. As it summer ( well suppose to be ) try an old towel over his back after a grooming session. just put it on, leave a few seconds, take it off and reward. work up slowly to a light rug being put on without hitting any part of his body with the straps. The first time any of mine are fitted with a rug I  fold it , lay it over the back, unfold the front and fasten then the rear just chatting away all the time. Can anyone help you, he may behave better. All horses have some form of hang-ups so don't worry.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2013, 07:44:13 am »
Also maybe stick to light fleece rugs to start with, agree about the folding too.

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 11:16:03 pm »
As you said Anna  slowly  is the key, keep doing it slowly, no horse/pony especially a young one likes a rug thrown over their back

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS