Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: how do you house your birds?  (Read 10451 times)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
Re: how do you house your birds?
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 08:26:37 pm »

[/quote] im putting left over lino in mine!!!
arn't tiles a little cold?
[/quote]

We use shredded paper (junk mail) and hay/straw/woodshavings (depending what we've got the most of!) over the floor and in the drawer which makes the only nesting box I know that has a gold handle!  And yes, they always lay in the drawer not on the floor, so you don't need to distinguish between the bed and nest material.
 We recycle all the paper we can, and I bring stuff from work as well, so all the animals benifit, and it composts quicker
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 07:42:41 am »
Yes your probably wright, my draws have wooden knobs!!!!! ;)

Christine B

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Haute Vienne, France
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2009, 08:40:01 am »
That made fascinating reading!  When we decided to have chukkies we went by the book and built a coop to incorporate several designs we liked.  It is absolutely fine and the chooks have plenty of room but I love some of your solutions! - On reflection we should have bought a shed - that will be the next purchase I think - but I love the ides of a tiled floor - with plenty of straw it wouldn't be cold and it is certainly practical.  I shall have a word with my OH -  hmmmmm!!!
Chris and Dave

carl

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2009, 09:43:51 am »
Sandy's draws :D ;D

mine live in a variety of of sheds, arks,coops and in a stable. They sort of look round and choose which they prefer, and which company they prefer. They then seem to stay in that dwelling on their own accord. sort of like a chicken community. They seem to visit each other, and sometimes lay eggs in others nest boxes or hidey places. I just let them get on with it, and move the boys round when I want them to breed.

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2009, 10:11:18 am »
i also use a variety of old drawers and plastic baskets as nest boxes although i use straw for the nest boxes and sawdust for the floor, they also nest inside an a old bedside cabinet...
GEM. X

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2009, 12:44:39 pm »
Hi ! We have 4 geese, 28 ducks and too many banties to count ...... at least 60. They are in a big outdoor space with electric all around as we have a bad fox problem in this bit of dorset. The high wire walls and electric mean that the ducks can do as they please - which means stay out in all weathers and not seem to mind. The geese also have an arc for shelter but don't use it very much at all. Then we have a selection of homemade arcs, a converted shed and my pride and joy  - our only ever purpose built chicken house ... all brand new with nest boxes. They love it. And they should because it was expensive!!!!! Does anyone else have ducks who never want to shelter???? Even in the snow, they just sat there!!
Bibs.

sandy

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2009, 12:49:54 pm »
It's funny, we have had some torrential rain :gloomy:  and my bedragled Ex Battery Hens looked like they have overdone the Bryl cream (that makes me sound old) and are wondering around in the rain while my 2 Aylesbury Ducks are tucked up in a big sheltered run which has an opening for them to go in and out at will!!!! I find it funny, hope the Ex Batts get a bit more sense when it get cold, otherwise I will be defrosting them in the Oven!!!! ;)

CarraghsBorderCollies

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2009, 02:19:30 pm »
my khaki cambells only go in their kennel/duck house to lay eggs,
my goslings like to go in at night and my silver appleyard ducklings and call duckling follow the goslings everywhere so they also go in at night.
GEM. X

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2009, 03:39:40 pm »
funny this! My ducks all go in at night, but they had to be trained and most nights don't go voluntarily before it is REALLY dark. 3 - 4  are laying in the house and the other 2 are determined to lay in the garden. It's Easter each morning here :) :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2009, 08:19:00 pm »
If Tesco delivery people are very careless and 'mislay' those green plastic boxes the groceries are brought in, they make fantastic nesting boxes.  And there is room at one end for chcken poo if perhaps theres a queue to lay and a girl gets caught short!!
Little Blue

sandy

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2009, 08:54:58 pm »
Like that idea!

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2009, 10:23:34 pm »
Its very naughty though! They seem to bring fewer boxes at a time to our door now - they must have got wise...
Little Blue

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2009, 10:49:09 pm »
I've so far "only" got ducks, so extra nesting boxes don't apply yet, but when I go to Lidl I ask quite a lot for plastic boxes and they happily give them to me to keep. There are different sizes, smaller ones for spring onions or deeper ones for purple sprouting brokkoli.  I find them a good size to keep kindling in and carry my harvest from the veg plot. Esp. good for tatties as most of the earth falls through the holes :). And if you ask it won't be naughty, lol :&>

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2009, 10:50:51 pm »
I like the "so far" Kerstin... ::)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2009, 11:07:15 pm »
well, James...not even that miserable vet on the other thread and my friends' egg eaters can stop me now!
I just noticed, I can do smileys, too, not just ducks! :) :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS