Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat goat breeding  (Read 2403 times)

aess35

• Joined Jan 2013
Meat goat breeding
« on: May 10, 2013, 09:38:21 pm »
Hi..I've had goats in the past as pets and now have sheep and some cattle but I'd like to breed goats commercially.  I've had a look on-line and have deduced that Boers' are the best for meat..would that be right? I take it's very difficult and expensive to get into breeding these..the herds I've seen for sale tonight have been a bit pricey but they are pedigree which I wouldn't need.  Any advice is appreciated on the breed and costings etc.  :goat:

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
Re: Meat goat breeding
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 10:13:53 pm »
Hi Cant help with you comercially but we breed Boers and Boer Crosses.
100% registered Boers are quite expensive and not easy to get Does. We have had to travel around the country to get ours and collecting 3 more in the next week.
You could start off with 50% s rather than the 100%s and put them to a pure Buck to produce 75% Boers
Any cross Bucks we get will go for meat , the 1 pure buck we have had born this year is staying with us for now  and will probably be sold at a later date  :-\
The down side to breeding unregistered crosses  is that any you breed will be meat value only as people wont want unregistered crosses for breeding.
Graham

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 10:16:08 pm »
Nubians used to be the one for meat but they've bred them too "dairy" You might be lucky enough to find the old type and breed with a boar male?

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 10:23:07 pm »
Nubians used to be the one for meat but they've bred them too "dairy" You might be lucky enough to find the old type and breed with a boar male?
Thats a plan of mine for the future ,  Going to try and breed up to get a spotted Boer  ::)
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS