Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Turkey eggs on ebay!  (Read 3206 times)

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
Turkey eggs on ebay!
« on: May 09, 2013, 11:18:41 pm »

Don't tell the family  :innocent: but I just purchased 6 bronze Turkey eggs off ebay, I know it's along shot with Royal mail possibly shaking them, braking them or just abusing them into not hatching but I had Turkeys as a kid and loved them, After years of going without I purchased a pair of bronze when I was 15 and they never sucessfullly hatched anything all the eggs were infertile, needless to say they died a ripe old age avoided being dinner.

But this year I have my  :fc: for some poults and any advice would be welcome.
And maybe a spare stag will make it to the table!
I had a farm reared oat finished one at Christmas and he was amazing,

Can't wait for them to arrive and the call duck eggs to hatch so there's room in the incubator  :thumbsup:

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
Re: Turkey eggs on ebay!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2013, 07:00:35 am »
Good luck!  :thumbsup: :turkey:

zarzar

• Joined Jul 2012
  • kent
  • Z.Glenfield :)
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2013, 12:04:19 pm »
we have had great success with eggs off ebay but there are some that sell infertile ones on there to so a case of buyer beware. good luck
1 cat,2 thoroughbred horses,1 dog, handfull of bird various types and hoping to get sheep again

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

Yeah it's sometimes luck of the draw too!

edessex

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Nr. Stansted Airport, Essex/Herts
    • Horticultural Services
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 04:32:18 pm »
We've had loads of eggs from eBay, especially Quail eggs, we've had quite a good success rate.  So far I think all eggs have made it through Royal Mail whole...

Good luck!

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:53:36 pm »

Eggs arrived a day late but safe and sound i'll give them two days to get over the journey and the planned power cut and get back to you in 28days  :fc: they hatch!

harefarm

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Winchester
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 09:42:37 am »
I have bought quite a few eggs off ebay and never really had a problem. The only couple I did have problems with was some goose eggs that the seller promised to wrap properly - they sent 9 and I only have 5 in the incubator and even one of those is cracked (good old nail varnish) but growing nicely. Don't use plastic bags to wrap they get broken. The other one used a courier - sent on Wednesday and arrived on Monday! Royal Mail - dare I say it have been pretty good for delivery times - has been next day every time.

I now have an incubator full of bantam eggs I think probably 3/4 full of fertile eggs. I will know for definite in a day or two. One of my bantams was going to sit on some but it turns out that 11 of the 13 eggs that I thought were no good are fertile and growing nicely. She I believe to be a hybrid but someone said she looks more like a Pekin with her cushion on her back end. She is 3 years old this year and they are mostly her eggs. The cockerel is a Partridge Pekin.

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 10:09:43 am »
Good luck!  I have 3 turkey hens sitting at the moment.  We are just letting them get on with it this year as one of the hens reared a chick well last year.  Not happy with this weather though :(

Helen

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS