Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Wood Shavings as Bedding  (Read 9024 times)

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
Wood Shavings as Bedding
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:06:30 pm »
I have been doing some research into using wood shavings as bedding and I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts or advice on this.

From my research, it seems that they are a good bedding material provided that you don't use cedar chips, which are poisonous to goats, and that you supplement the bedding with straw if the weather is really cold.  It also seems to be good practice to rake out any droppings and remove wet patches daily.

Would it be essential to use the 'dust-extracted' variety?  (I am yet to find these anywhere anyway).

I'm worried that the kids might nibble on them and get one stuck or something or that they might be too dusty for them - but then again, there isn't much that doesn't worry me about the kids at the moment!

I had a quick look and don't think there's another thread about this.

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Wood Shavings as Bedding
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »
I just use straw..easy to get and clean out

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:34:42 pm »
I have been using straw until now and for me it was cheap to get a big bale (costs 2 jars of home-produced honey ;) ), I could transport in my trailer home and we could handle it between two of us. However straw disadvantages: usually only big bales available (either need delivered or you will need trailer), and it gets very heavy to muck out when thouroughly wet and in the shed for a few weeks. It also takes ages to compost and you will need a heap near the shed. Ok though if you muck out by tractor.
Wood shavings will take even longer to compost than straw, and unless you have a sawmill nearby and can go an collect yourself the bagged up stuff is probably quite expensive. Not sure how well they soak up urine though...
I am now switching to Hemp straw bedding (Hemcore), because it is easier to muck out and will compost a lot quicker than straw. Goats eat a few bits at the start, but won't really bother with it. I really like it - BUT it is  seriously expensive. As I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists and also un-operable issues with my knees, I need to make my life easier around the goats....
So if money is tight I would stay with straw rather than wood shavings and enlist the services of a very fit and willing volunteer...

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 07:16:09 pm »
My goats are on straw and the horses on shavings I find that when the goats get into the stables they eat the shavings. This would worry me as goats don't seem to know when to stop eating and I would be afraid that they may get a blockage.
Anne

jaykay

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Cumbria/N Yorks border
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 07:26:45 pm »
I use straw. My goats eat woodshavings.

I use shavings for the chicken houses and whenever I'm cleaning out the chooks, the goats come and 'help', by eating the shavings so I'd also be worried they'd eat too many and do themselves harm.

I think straw is good as it stays dry on top, if necessary you can just top it up and muck out periodically, it's relatively cheap and it's quite good for them if they nibble a bit.

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:56:18 pm »
All my animals are on sawdust/shavings and have been for several years.     Have never had any problems with it.............even kidded some girls on it with no ill effects.
Have never had a goat eat the fine stuff ever............mine is not dust extracted but green sawdust straightfrom a factory making bee equipment with white wood.
\i keep the beds very deep....approx 12 inches minimum.
I find this type of bedding rots down very quickly indeed.

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:35:10 pm »
Thanks for all the advice.

Until now, I have bedded the goats on straw as a preference but the reason I am searching for alternatives is because I don't have a trailer to get round bales and there are no small bales to be had round here at all (the round bales are running out too).

I very much like the idea of Hemcore but the only supplier in Ireland is a 300-mile round trip away.  I also think the cost might be prohibitive but I can't find any prices for it anyway.

At the moment, I'm thinking that shavings are my best option, and have been supplementing my dwindling straw supply with some shavings this week without any of the goats eating them - whether that will change when that's all they have on the floor, I'll have to wait and see.

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:42:29 pm »
As always, there's something I forgot.

I use the chopped medicated straw for the 'ucks and had though about top dressing the shavings with this.  I'm not sure whether it would a) be suitable for goats at all or b) likely to harm them if they eat it.

It would be a very expensive way forward but I'm running out of options.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 11:56:54 am »
They've run out of straw round here so as I muck out up to 30 racehorses everyday for the boss I've been using shaving the last few weeks for the goats and the boss lets me have it at bulk prices.No problem with them eating it once they've finished tasting and experimenting and there's pleanty of grass now to distract them.I reckon once its broken down and tainted by urin a bit they won't bother with it.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 02:45:39 pm »
JJ - I managed to find a little bit of straw in by the girls school if you are desperate, he might have some left (by the maypole)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 06:08:30 pm »
Thanks for the info but a bit late in the year(or is that early? :D  ) I can manage now

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2013, 06:19:02 pm »
I have my pygmy in with my pony and I use Easi-bed.  Never had a problem of him eating it.

Plan for the new kid (very excited and very thankful to Anke), is to separate them with a hurdle and put down straw bedding for the kid.

Helen

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2013, 09:25:08 pm »
I have my pygmy in with my pony and I use Easi-bed.  Never had a problem of him eating it.

Plan for the new kid (very excited and very thankful to Anke), is to separate them with a hurdle and put down straw bedding for the kid.

Helen
He is on hemcore, but the kids have also managed to add an extra layer of hay on top... ;D

HelenVF

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2013, 10:10:30 pm »
I used to use hemcore in the stable but my supply ran out so switched to easi-bed which is a wood chip.

:-D  I get the hay spread around bedding too lol

Helen

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2013, 10:24:43 pm »
I use straw and eke it out a bit with shredded paper. I put the word out and often find bags of shredded paper on the door-step.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS