Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: My collie boy with intermittent lameness  (Read 1443 times)

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
My collie boy with intermittent lameness
« on: May 08, 2013, 11:02:42 pm »
Hi all - have discussed my collie boys lameness in his back leg over on another thread but didn't want to clog that up anymore.

I had Brodie briefly examined by an equine/canine chiropractor on Saturday.  She found some quite pronounced stiffness in his back leg and felt the he isn't weight bearing properly on it - just as I suspected.  She checked his spine but thank goodness found no problems there.  She also felt that there is some stiffness through his shoulders at the front of his body, probably caused by over-compensation for the lack of power coming from his back legs.  She correctly guessed that he also struggles to jump into the car, especially when he is tired.  It seems that he is suffering discomfort through his back legs which is preventing him from jumping and completely explains why he didn't want to jump at agility anymore.

She did say that she felt hydrotherapy would not be beneficial. However, she feels that she can provide some treatment which will ease the discomfort he must be feeling. I am just waiting for clearance from the vet to take him along.  Incidentally, this lady comes highly recommended from a large number of both doggy and horsey friends so I have no doubt about her diagnosis.

Thanks for all the tips and advice over on the other thread.  I will let you know how he gets on - fingers crossed his discomfort can be eased.

Donna

funkyfish

• Joined Nov 2011
  • Devon
Re: My collie boy with intermittent lameness
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 01:50:23 pm »
Has he seen an ACPAT Physio?? Some massage and laser therapy may help.

Beware of hydrotherapy. It can do a LOT of harm if not dome properly  You want to look for a NARCH registered therapist and use a hydro tread mill NOT a pool- hardly anyone uses a pool now as it can cause problems and you cant control there posture or how hard they work.

As a vet nures with a dog with spinal problems and chronic lameness  dealing with the right therapists helps a lot. the industry is not well regulated yet.

Is he on painkillers form the vet? And has he has 1 week strict rest?
Old and rare breed Ducks, chickens, geese, sheep, guinea pigs, 3 dogs, 3 cats, husband and chicks brooding in the tv cabinate!

colliewobbles

• Joined Mar 2013
  • South Norfolk
Re: My collie boy with intermittent lameness
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 02:10:04 pm »
I don't know what an ACPAT physio is - all I do know is that the lady I am going to is highly regarded in many areas, canine and equine.  However, I suspect that she intends to do some form of massage therapy.  The one week strict rest wouldn't really be appropriate as sometimes the problem doesn't occur for longer than that - it is more than he stiffens up and has to work it through, usually takes about 5-10 minutes for him to walk normally again.  He also seems to compensate somewhat by not putting as much weight on that leg when standing still but not lame.

I am not going for the hydrotherapy as I said above but thanks for the advice on that.  He is not on painkillers but has been on a joint supplement from the vet for a few months. 

The problem only occurs on his back left leg when he has been on a very long walk (all day) or after he did an agility run.  He also struggles to jump into the car after a walk.  I stopped the agility a year ago and had him checked over by the vet (x rays etc) but they found nothing although the vet did say she could feel some stiffness.  It happens much less often since I stopped the agility so I don't intend to start that again and risk further damage.

Donna

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS