Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New to pigs - tagging and vacinations  (Read 3974 times)

charlestcat

• Joined Oct 2010
New to pigs - tagging and vacinations
« on: May 07, 2013, 03:45:55 pm »
Can anyone advise plse.  We are getting in a few weeks 2 GOS weaners.  We are new to pigs ( we have sheep andtwo pet pygmy goats) and have a couple of questions.

When we get them at 8-9 weeks old should they have been vacinated?  If not, what do they require; if anything?

Do you worm pigs by drenching them as you do sheep?  (they are going to slaughter at 5-6 months old)

The owner is a bit woolly about ID and whether he has to do it or whether we do it.  Sheep require ear tagging before they are moved off the holding onto another or slaughter house.  i would have thought this would be the same for pigs.

I already have a holding no for the sheep and goats - do i also have to register for another number for the pigs?

thanks for your help

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
Re: New to pigs - tagging and vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 05:56:57 pm »

Hi there. Congratulations on deciding to get your first pigs.
Couple of answers to your questions:

When we get them at 8-9 weeks old should they have been vaccinated?  If not, what do they require; if anything?

Depends what you're raising them for. If for breeding, I would recommend erysipelas vaccine (two doses, four weeks apart), If for meat, I wouldn't bother. [/color]Do you worm pigs by drenching them as you do sheep?  (they are going to slaughter at 5-6 months old)
No, it's by injection (e.g. Dectomax) - also does them for lice and mites.  The owner is a bit woolly about ID and whether he has to do it or whether we do it.  Sheep require ear tagging before they are moved off the holding onto another or slaughter house.  i would have thought this would be the same for pigs.
If they are under 1 year old (as are yours), they can move from the holding of birth to you on a temporary paint mark (coloured marker spray) and this must be recorded in the movement information (e.g. red stripe, black cross etc). BUT they will need to be tagged with metal tags or slap marked - with YOUR herd number - before going for slaughter. If the owner is a "bit woolly" as you say about ID, is he au fait with the electronic movement system? Pigs don't move on paper forms like sheep or goats any more. He needs to register with BPEX for the eAML2 system - as will you. I already have a holding no for the sheep and goats - do i also have to register for another number for the pigs?
Holding number is the same, but you will need a HERD number for pigs (you already have a FLOCK number for sheep and goats). Ring your local Animal Health office and they'll sort it.Good luck, and please message me if you have any queries.Liz[/font]
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
Re: New to pigs - tagging and vacinations
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 05:02:47 pm »
Pigs need a temporary paint mark to be moved unless they at or over 12 months old or going for slaughter, in which case a slaughter proof tag (metal, plastic or conbination of both to withstand the processing) and/or double slapmark on both shouldersshoulders.  I'm new to pig rearing but got a lot of information online, talking to the breeder that I got them from and a Haynes manual for pigs (Yes, the same people who wrote car manuals...they also wrote one for babies,  lol)
Hope this helps, good luck and remember, they are sociable and like attention from you  :)

P6te

• Joined Jan 2012
  • South Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:33:32 pm »
Hi David,

If you look at the post immediately above yours you will see the author of that post (Liz, Tudful Tamworths) is the author of  the Haynes Pig Manual and the Haynes Smallholding Manual.  :innocent:

Author of the Haynes Pig Manual and the Haynes Smallholding Manual.

Pete
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 09:42:47 pm by P6te »
Live for today
Plan for tomorrow

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 12:44:58 am »
Ooops :-\ but it has helped me no end and can refer to it whenever I have questions then if I don't get it will ask here  ;)

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 12:52:29 am »
Btw Liz, my daughter wanted me to get ginger pigs cos she is ginger, her exact words were "can we get ginger pigs like me?".  Bless her, she's nearly 7 and I said when I have more land i'll think about it.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 11:44:02 pm »
Hi David. Glad you found it useful! You'd be surprised how many people I sell Tamworths to because the female partner or their children are ginger. The future is orange!
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 08:21:22 am »
Btw Liz, my daughter wanted me to get ginger pigs cos she is ginger, her exact words were "can we get ginger pigs like me?".  Bless her, she's nearly 7 and I said when I have more land i'll think about it.
My 8 year old daughter is also ginger and seems to have a natural affinity with ginger pigs  ;) We had a big Tamworth sow who used to follow her everywhere  :innocent: Kaitlin used to move her from pen to pen and take her for a walk  ::)
Encourage her David, you never know where it might lead  :thumbsup:

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:16:35 pm »
HH, I'm trying to involve both my little girls with the GOS weaners as much as possible (they love with their mum), Eleanor is the eldest and isn't scared at all but Emilia is nearly 4, a little scared by clumsy, she fell on the electric fence last time but I had already preemted that and unplugged it, I will probably get a couple of Tamworths in the future when I've gained more experience and of course more land (preferably woodland).  It's all new to me and enjoying every minute I get to spend with the piggies and see them developing/growing, although I know they'll be good soon,  lol

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS