Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: organic feeding suggestions  (Read 5955 times)

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
Re: organic feeding suggestions
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 05:40:20 pm »
The topic of organic seems pretty much blinkered in view of the soil association but by definition means natural i.e. No man made substances, therefore I see organic as natural and my little piggies are on soil and root even though it appears that they are finding things that I can't actually see, lol :)

http://oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/organic

I do adhere to rules and regulations but fight pomposity with vigor, freedom is also organic ;) ha ha ha

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2013, 09:12:59 am »
There's a large allotments close to home, could I use the roots of the harvested plants to supplement feeds and maybe even grass clippings? Obviously I don't want to use them unless they haven't been grown in keeping with organic guidelines :)

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2013, 09:15:26 am »
Also, I could supply the  aforementioned allotments with natural fertilizer from my piggies, nature's recycling in the process,  ha ha ha

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2013, 09:30:25 am »

The topic of organic seems pretty much blinkered in view of the soil association but by definition means natural

You are, of course, right. It just annoys me that the Soil Association has kind of brainwashed the Great Public into believing they have the monopoly on "organic" - by which in terms of production of food for sale is meant "certified organic". When you are selling anything, you should make clear that, even if your food is produced organically, it is not certified organic. (I know various producers who've left the SA because they are getting too big for their boots - I think they are far too pompous and quite expensive...)

Go into aboutorganics.co.uk and then into information (sorry, won't let me paste in the link). There you'll find the list of 10 accreditation organisations for the UK - the SA is only one of them. As I said, they are the ones with the biggest shout.

David @ Hector Blooms

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:59 am »
Thanks Ina, will look at their information page when I have a moment and as for the loudest shout, a majority can shout louder if they stick together...Power to the People!  lol

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 05:54:23 pm »
There's a large allotments close to home, could I use the roots of the harvested plants to supplement feeds and maybe even grass clippings? Obviously I don't want to use them unless they haven't been grown in keeping with organic guidelines :)
Hi david
anything from the allotment is fine so long as it doesn't go via the kitchen but go easy on the grass clippings (a box of fresh clippings between 3 of them every couple days will be fine), no parsnip tops, tomato plants, just use your common sense whatever you would eat they will too :thumbsup:
hth mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS