Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: blocked teat? Is that possible?  (Read 4674 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
blocked teat? Is that possible?
« on: May 08, 2013, 08:42:11 am »
Hi another problem, now with Audrey who had quads, I am supplementing 2 for her but now one side of her udder seems to be bigger than the other side.  Not hard or painful or hot but when I went to milk her bigger side the milk wouldnt come out.  There appears to be a scabby bit right on the end of her teat.  When I massage the udder and teat with udder cream I can get the milk to eventually come out but it seems to come out from all directions as if there is a blockage. 

I called a friend who always uses homeopathic remedies and she gave me some calc phos and said it seemed like it could be a milk stone.

Audrey isn't too concerned and I notice that the kids do not nurse from the bigger side for long. 

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
Re: blocked teat? Is that possible?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 06:10:55 pm »
I'm no expert but thought I'd bump this up for others to notice.

Last year one of mine had mild mastitis and had thick lumps in her milk which temporarily blocked the teat. Don't know if that helps or not.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 06:21:11 pm »
Yes someone on the GG forum just had the same thing, blocked teat. Vet sorted it out for her, don't know how. Apparently quite common in cows???
I have no idea how to sort it, I would get the vet to have a look. Can you get the goat (no need to take the kids) to the vet rather than have a call-out? Especially if she is a young animal it would be a shame to ruin her udder.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 09:40:28 pm »
My old goat twice had milk stones. Both times, it was difficult to get milk out of the teat and, as you described, when I did it came from different angles, and not a lot either. The end of the teat felled blocked so I squeezed extra tightly and the stone popped out. after that, she milked normally until the second one happened. That did come out as well. The opening on that teat wasn't as big as the other side.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 10:05:43 pm »
We have had it the once, Milk wouldnt come out and we where told to feel the teat between our fingers  quite tightly from the end working our way up.
we did this and fianly found a small hard lump about the size and shape of  a small grain of rice.
we where told to work it down and when it got to the opening to squeeze it quite hard untill it popped out.
it took a few attempts but it did pop out eventualy and touch wood we have had no problems since
Graham

Ina

• Joined Feb 2012
  • South Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:15:04 am »
Yes someone on the GG forum just had the same thing, blocked teat. Vet sorted it out for her, don't know how. Apparently quite common in cows???

Yep - I remember several cases where basically we had to poke a hole into the teat. I think it's like a bit of skin grown over the hole that should be there. Need to watch that it doesn't get infected, of course, but there never seemed to be any problem after treatment.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 10:32:58 pm »
With my girl, it was a tiny, hard white lump that popped out. Looked like solidified milk.

sokel

• Joined Jun 2012
  • S W northumberland
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 12:12:18 pm »
With my girl, it was a tiny, hard white lump that popped out. Looked like solidified milk.
Thats what ours was like
Graham

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS