Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 2 week lambs - think I cocked up in the first 1/2 hour!  (Read 4124 times)

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
    • http://southwellski.blogspot.co.uk/
2 week lambs - think I cocked up in the first 1/2 hour!
« on: May 07, 2013, 09:12:53 pm »
I've just bought home 2 cade lambs who are 2 weeks old and have been fed Lamlac by Sheperdess.  I bought some lamblac and 2 bottles (and was planning to supplement the lambac with spare goats milk).  Stupidly though, I saw the little lines on the teats and snipped the ends off - then when I tipped the bottles upside down, of course instead of dripping out it streamed out!!!!  :o   One lamb took some anyway (with me kind of having her on my lap and shoving the teat in her cheek) and teh other dabbled a bit.

So, several questions: 

1. I presume I shouldnt have snipped the teats off so before I buy some more tomorrow am will these lambs get used to a bottle rather than a bucket feeder?

2. should I buy different teats (different make) these teats were clear paragon ones and I honestly thought I couldnt see a hole in the end (hence snipping!!!)

3. will the lambs get used to goats milk and can I mix it with lamblac?  Or should I stick to lamblac?

Thank you in advance!!!!

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
Re: 2 week lambs - think I cocked up in the first 1/2 hour!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:27:10 pm »
I’m totally new to this as it’s my first time with lambs, but for me I used the 500ml anti-vacuum bottles.  The teats are smaller and have a small tapered nozzle at the end that can be trimmed to suit.  People say they are easier for the novice and they work well for me.
If they’re used to a shepherdess maybe that’s the way to go, it would be a lot easier on you.
Goats milk I can’t help you on.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:21:30 pm »
The non vac bottles is what I use - when feeding I let them sucking for five secs then pull away, they take breath and start again - works correctly me. The smaller top I use for kids and shetlands. Your goats milk will be perfect better than Lamlac if I had to say - I milked one of my pygmy's who's kids had left go feed a lamb - did her great
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 10:36:42 pm »
I must say I (or rather, the lambs I've fed!) haven't got on well with the long teats. I found standard baby bottle ones were better. Good luck x
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 10:59:02 pm »
Just normal baby bottles?! Really??!! Fab news :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 08:01:33 am »
Yes you snip the ends off, yes it gushes out if you hold it upside down.  The trick is to not hold it upside down unless there's a lamb latched onto it. ;)  Unless you can handle just one lamb at a time, you do waste a little milk each feed until they're on, but it's not much.  The worst thing is that the silly little bleaters always get it all over their faces while they're messing around being too excited to get latched on properly - and the mixed up powder feed irritates their eyes. ::)

Others on here say goats milk is good; I haven't tried goats milk but my lambs do well on Jersey milk.  If I feed 100% Jersey milk I give them 1.5x the amount of ewe milk replacer, or I can just use some Jersey and some ewe milk replacer.  I believe they do much better on a diet which contains some real milk from animals on your own farm than on a pure packet version. 

So I would mix some goats milk into their feed, yes, just a little at first, increasing so long as they're not scouring or anything, up to whatever proportion you are aiming for.  Keep an eye on their condition - how easily can you feel their ribs - and if they are getting thinner, up the quantity.  If they don't then put flesh on, reduce the proportion of goats milk.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 08:29:40 am »
Thank you all (esp Sally for the confirmation I was looking for!)  They fed beautifully today, we are doing 2 feeds goats (after shes been milked) and 2 feeds lamlac - do you think that would be ok or should I mix it all up?  They seem to drink it so fast it's very tempting not to shove another 100ml in - but I won't! :D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 09:26:16 am »
Good to hear they're managing on the bottles  :thumbsup:

Personally I would introduce the goats milk a little more gently, yes.  Perhaps mix 1/4 goats milk 3/4 lamblac for two or three days, then if no scouring 1/3:2/3 for two or three days, then onto your alternate one then the other if that's an easier regime for you.   Thing is, if they do scour it's a lot of extra work getting them over it, so it's worth a bit of work up front to avoid that, I'd say.

If they look plumply full, neither hollow nor distended, after each feed, then the quantity is right. ;)  You are offering hay and creep feed too, right?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »
Yes and yes - they are outside too and nibbling the grass - is that ok? (my very first time with lambs - can you tell? ;) )  HOWEVER I have noticed the little ewe seems to have a slght front leg limp and the knee seems to have a bit of fluid around it, is there anything I should be doing/not doing?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 06:16:12 pm »
Access to a little bit of grass should be ok - but generally I keep mine indoors on hay until they're maybe 5 weeks old, then onto limited grazing but so they can get the sun on their backs.

Swollen knee could be joint ill  :( - would need antibiotics.  Or could be a knock, will get better.  Can you take her to see the vet?

Bumblebear

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Norfolk
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 07:31:46 pm »
Yes I will take her :(  I thought maybe it was travelling home yesterday or something but best to be safe than sorry.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS