Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Prolapsed ewe - planning the end...  (Read 6744 times)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: Prolapsed ewe - planning the end...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 10:05:21 am »
If you stitch it yourself you can just inject a little local anaesthetic first. I always do, it makes me feel better and I'm sure the ewes appreciate it!
Saying that I much prefer to use the harness, just seems less invasive.
Hope she goes on ok  :fc:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 10:58:25 am »
Incredibly, they don't seem to have much feeling there, so if you feel confident enough to have a go...  You can get the big curved needles from your agri merchant.

There are a few different ways of stitching up - three stitches across is one (old shepherds may still do this with three big nappy pins :o), making a loop all around and drawing it up is another.  I'm afraid I don't know enough about the differences to advise which is better.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

FiB

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Bala, North Wales
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2013, 11:09:58 am »
Incredibly, they don't seem to have much feeling there, so if you feel confident enough to have a go...  You can get the big curved needles from your agri merchant.

There are a few different ways of stitching up - three stitches across is one (old shepherds may still do this with three big nappy pins :o ), making a loop all around and drawing it up is another.  I'm afraid I don't know enough about the differences to advise which is better.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o .  And - wheres the leg crossing icon???  is it just me?  I think I feel about all things prolapse as men must feel about castration!  I will see if there is anythere is anything on youtube if the time comes!  I am a neat sewer, and not too squemish , but.....

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2013, 11:14:42 am »
I don't know about your vet, but mine would be very happy to teach a client how to do this, and explain which technique to use and when - could you take her to the surgery rather than pay a callout?  Or maybe just talk it through with them on the phone?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 11:17:29 am »
I saw an old farmer pop a metal pig ear tag in instead of stitching once .... ouch!

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2013, 11:23:54 am »
The stitching up process (done by a vet) for a pre-lambing ewe of mine (carrying 6 lambs!!) some years ago, certainly made her eye water poor thing! 

The Irish Shepherd

• Joined Apr 2013
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2013, 10:01:33 pm »

There are a few different ways of stitching up - three stitches across is one (old shepherds may still do this with three big nappy pins :o), making a loop all around and drawing it up is another.  I'm afraid I don't know enough about the differences to advise which is better.

I used 2 ear tags, one in the ear and one in the f****y :excited:

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2013, 10:13:17 pm »
I used 2 ear tags, one in the ear and one in the f****y :excited:
[/quote]

Poor ewe  :-\ :(

sh3ph3rd

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Queensland, Australia
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 06:30:43 pm »
Weakness in the reproductive tract can be caused by many things, it's not necessarily the ewe's fault she prolapsed, nor is it necessarily genetic. It's far more likely to be an environmental stress or damage.

If she was mine I'd treat her and monitor her offspring, as well as her diet and the flock's diet, and I think that once you figure out the perfect balance for your soil, your flock, their diet, their genes, and all the other factors that must interact properly for all things to be ideal, it'll be fine.... It won't happen again.

Everyone's situation and flock is unique, no two are identical. Raspberry leaf is an incredible toner for the female reproductive system. I use it religiously with births, and they go smoothly as. I only administer it if the female wants it, I don't force them. It works with every female, human and otherwise. Had one collie bitch who wouldn't have contractions unless she had a few sips of raspberry tea. She would stop between pups, for hours, until she had a sip, then contract and birth in the next ten seconds, regularly as. But she always was a lazy one.  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS