Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb with scaly/itchy ear  (Read 5887 times)

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Lamb with scaly/itchy ear
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:12:01 pm »

One of our orphan lambs has developed a scaly ear which seems to itch her. They're quite large white/yellow scales. Can't upload picture as it's too large. It's only the 1 ear that's affected. I caught her rubbing it against a post.

She also has watery eyes, no coloured discharge, just watery, but that doesn't seem to bother her.

She eats well, has milk, grass and creep, and bounces around like she should. She's gaining weight and doesn't seem 'off' at all. Running after me like a mad thing this morning! Still cuddles up with her orphan friends just as always. None of them show any sign of it.

Any ideas what it might be?

ZaktheLad

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Thornbury, Nr Bristol
Re: Lamb with scaly/itchy ear
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »
One of my Charollais X lambs has sunburn on his ears due to the actual appearance of the sun over the last weekend!  With very little hair on his ears, he is quite susceptible to subburn and so I have got some sunblock today to put on them as they look very scaly and sore.  Perhaps it's a similar case with your lamb?   I used to have a horse that got bad sunburn on his nose!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:31:25 pm »
Orf, photosensitization, sunburn, headfly bites/irritation - look up pictures of those and see if anything matches.

17AndCounting

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:56:28 pm »

Thanks!

I don't think it's orf, there's nothing round her mouth or nose, no obvious lumps or bumps. There's no swelling, obvious bites or pus or anything like that which seems to rule out photosensitivity and flies. She's a Suffolk cross with fawn/white ears and pink skin underneath, they all seem to love to sunbathe so I guess it could have got burnt.

I did catch her pushing her way through some fencing but I can't see it's scratched her or anything. I think the red on her ear is from rubbing it against the post because it itches.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS