Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is she, isn't she?  (Read 1104 times)

Kitchen Cottage

• Joined Oct 2012
Is she, isn't she?
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:41:38 am »
I put my SADDLEBACK pig, who lives in Essex and is therefore an Essex girl, in with Marty the boar for 2 cycles, 4 months and 1 week ago.

She seemed to return the first time, which was why she was left with him.... it then transpired the last 4 sows Marty went with (he's the boar for my local city farm) weren't pregnant and he was "retired"..... well, in a somewhat permanent but barbeque friendly manner.

I've assumed Charlotte, who like her owner could be called a big girl, isn't pregnant and certainly didn't take first time round but, just lately she looks a little low in the belly.... she has a history of secret pregnancies having been knocked up by her four and a half month old son 2 years ago.... it all goes on in Essex!

One days she looks fecund, the next day she doesn't,  I don't have a doppler but my issue is she is in a paddock with her daughter Joan (of Ark)  and I am not sure how Joan will respond to new siblings.  I do know though that they pine when they are apart. 

Any tips for telling whether she is "knocked up", her vulva is down and I thought they were up if they were in pig.

If she isn't knocked up sadly, she will be a casuality of Marty's infertility because I only breed once a year and, as she is 7 this year, I wouldn't risk going 2 years without a litter from her. 

Greeting from Essex!

HappyHippy

Re: Is she, isn't she?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 09:49:15 am »
Pigs eh ?! They love to keep you guessing  ::)

So, if Charlotte went in 4 months and 1 week ago and was in for 2 cycles you've still potentially got a wait of a couple of weeks......
Has she shown any signs of being in season at any point ?
Does she look anything like the pig in this photo (other than the fact it's a Large Black  ;)) http://yonderton-com.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=154096226 Loppy (in photo) was 3 weeks away from farrowing in this photo, as is the pig in the background. Both have quite an obvious diagonal line on their sides (sign of a baby belly) the vulva will start to swell, but maybe only in the last week or so - sorry, not being much help am I ?  :-\

Young Joan (loving the names  ;D) might be okay with the piglets arrival, more likely that mum will either chase her out the arc or take herself off somewhere else to farrow. I think, if it was me, I'd have a seperate pen set-up ready and waiting......just in case you get any definate nesting and you can move her (or Joan, if Charlotte refuses to budge)

Hopefully other breeders will be along soon too with their thoughts.
Good luck & keep us posted,
Karen x

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
Re: Is she, isn't she?
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:10:40 am »
Get her to lay on her side for a tummy rub, if she's this far on you will be able to feel the piglets moving when you place the palm of your hand on her belly under herrear leg armpits, you'll also visibly see her belly rippling. As HH says she will be showing a very dropped tummy if you stand behind her and look thro her rear legs. You also may be able to squeeze first milk from on of her teats which will be starting to redden up and stand out.
I would separate her if you suspect she is pregnant just to be on the safe side.
HTh
mandy :pig:
ps one of my best girls is an Essex bred girl too but shes a GOS! :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS