Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden milker does it again!  (Read 3001 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Maiden milker does it again!
« on: May 07, 2013, 08:12:18 am »
3rd year running and it seems  :fc:  that our little saanenX has a growing udder again! Haven't wanted to get too excited or take it for granted but I think we may have lots of milk again.
If a maiden comes into milk and is dried off for winter (to regain condition) do you think its fairly likely that they will keep coming back into milk when the grass and browse is plentiful or is it hit and miss?
Last year we had 9 pints a day from her so really hoping that its another good year for soap making and for the children to drink  :fc:
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Carl f k

• Joined Aug 2012
Re: Maiden milker does it again!
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 11:57:31 am »
 :thumbsup:good news  but your :relief:  :excited:

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »
Something I've been thinking about over the weekend. 

A related question.

One of my goatlings is developing an udder.
Is it a good thing to encourage her for the extra milk or better not to because she's still got some growing to do. She'll be a year old next week.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:24:25 pm »
I was advised NOT to encourage the milk as Savannah was still growing first year she decided to do this. I left well alone but before we knew it, mrs stubborn was huge and uncomfortable. She comes from a strong line of milkers. She has mineral supplements and is well supported with concentrates and good hay.
I think rule of thumb is don't unless you have no choice.
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 06:04:07 pm »
Thank you, that was my feeling as well. So far I'm just watching what happens.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:45:36 pm »
Just been and milked our girl. The udder is as full as it looked.  She is our goose that lays the golden eggs and her milk makes the best soap (don't tell puffin I said that) and the children love drinking 'Vanna milkshakes'.  Typical though that we are due to go to spain in a couple of weeks time...the goat sitter will curse me after last years fun and games!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2013, 09:44:52 pm »
That is soooo jammy, Plums. Would love a maiden milker.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 07:33:35 am »
Landed on my trotters I did, MGoM!! Now I'm trying to hold off of proper milking her until we get back from Spain as I seem to recall once I started that udder just got more and more mahoooooosive before!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS