Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Vetinary Imsurance..?  (Read 1900 times)

Wendy01287

• Joined May 2013
Vetinary Imsurance..?
« on: May 06, 2013, 11:08:51 pm »
Hi all.. I am new to this site and to owning Orphaned Lambs...My question is can you get vet insurance cover for sheep and goats like you can with dogs horses cats etc...? Incase of illness or disease etc...

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Vetinary Imsurance..?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:39:40 pm »
Dont think so - I have farm insurance, but thats more for public liability should my stock get on the road. At the end of the day, the animal fully grow would not be more worth more than £100 in most cases, so I guess there isn't a market for it.

WhiteHorses

• Joined Apr 2013
  • West Lothian, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:44 pm »
You can also get farm livestock insurance but that is for Los due to mortality or theft not vets fees.

SteveHants

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:43:27 pm »
You can also get farm livestock insurance but that is for Los due to mortality or theft not vets fees.

Thats what I have, although it'd have to be pretty dire for me to claim on it.

Wendy01287

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 12:08:28 pm »
Mmm that's what I was thinking..They are pets, so if they need treatment they will get it, subject to the cost ofcourse...!!! I guess there are not many pet sheep/goats waranting this type of policy, compared to other animals...Lets hope they stay healthy n happy...Thanks all for your responses.x

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:20:56 pm »
One thing to bear in mind is that vets do try to keep farm animal treatment costs down, some of them seem to cross subsidise it from the pet and horse work, I try to remember that when I get the pet vet bill. :-))

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 04:17:51 pm »
You can help keep vet bills down by avoiding call outs (ie. if you have a trailer or vehicle to transport an animal in). Call outs can be up to or around £60 before vet even puts his wellies on!
Our largest bills so far have been on sick goats..like you say, they get the treatment subject to cost and at some point we all have to be sensible  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

SheepCrazy!

• Joined Nov 2012
  • Dumfries and Galloway
  • www.hawthornsoaysandjacobs.co.uk
    • hawthornsoaysandjacobs
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 05:06:35 pm »

I'm a bit cheeky when I go to the vet for example If my dog has to go but my mum's cat has to have it's routine stuff tick, worm ect I take them both and get away with one consultation fee! And if I need sheep advice I ask at the same time,
I also email information for example FEC results to the vets avoiding an appointment and consultation fee

As it cost £32 to have a ewe lambed last year plus £25 call out! ( and a dead lamb)  Jags now I buy a bottle of penicillin or emgimicin and jag everything myself. (ask for a long use by date)

I also invested in hippie scub  £7 a bottle to treat all minor wound infections, bites, I also now clean the lambs years before I tag them to hopefully prevent any infections, sores in my show lambs as sowing up ears are never cheap!

If it's nothing serious ie castrating a funny lamb, ask the vet to pop in next time he's PASSINGand they should half the call out fee!  :fc: You can save so money  I have the vet was making a fortune of me  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS