Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Can/do foxes swim?  (Read 15542 times)

bealers

• Joined Dec 2012
  • North Shropshire
Can/do foxes swim?
« on: May 03, 2013, 10:02:23 pm »
Hi,

We've a large pond (30x15m) in our garden and the plan is to get our new ex-bat flock (last 15 eaten by fox last month) set up alongside one edge so they have direct access to water. I'm confident I can fence and electrify the boundary but I just had the thought that Mr/Mrs/Junior sly could just swim over from the other bank.

Will they?

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
Re: Can/do foxes swim?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2013, 10:08:58 pm »
I believe that fixes can swim however I'm sure someone will come along soon that will know for sure
Mojo
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2013, 10:09:06 pm »
They can if they want to - I've seen photos of a fox swimming out in a nature reserve's lake to steal eggs from the island, the sly little sod.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2013, 10:27:49 pm »
If they cant find a way they will and if it involves swimming so be it.
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2013, 10:30:25 pm »
I had ducks seemed to be safe roosting on an island... until the pond froze, and then we saw the foxy tracks across the ice... :o
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

HesterF

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Kent
  • HesterF
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2013, 11:59:53 pm »
As a child I saw one swim across a river to get away from the hunt (not a fan of hunting since witnessing that one).

Oh, and haven't you ever read The LIttle Gingerbread Man  :D?

Pipsa

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 01:16:13 pm »
I saw a fox swimming a couple of years ago ... in order to get to a small island where there
were chickens, ducks etc.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 02:45:30 pm »
Yep, seen them swimming. Think it might put them off but they could def. swim out if they set their minds on it. If it froze, then ........  :o

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 03:57:46 pm »
I watched a nature programme a long time ago where they showed how a fox gets rid of their fleas. They take a leaf in the mouth swim out and then go under the water until the last thing left above the surface is the tip of their nose. Apparently as they go into the water the fleas go up the body and onto the leaf. At the very end they duck right under, letting go of the leaf and leaving the fleas adrift on the leaf.
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 07:39:54 pm »
 :roflanim:  Is that true?  I like it.  ;D

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 11:09:30 am »
One of my friends had a terrible time with a fox taking hens during the day. He said it was hard to know who was watching who as this fox seemed to stake him out and as soon as he went inside would sneak back round for another hen he had killed earlier. In the end friend spent an afternoon hiding and watch the fox circle round making his way to the ducks. he shot it but only because it was so intent on getting a duck that he managed to get it in his line of fire. Told me he had never know a fox watch his every move and seem to know what he would be doing at certain times of the day.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 03:57:57 pm »
yes, they swim for their dinner if they must. A friend lost some geese  being taken from the river while he watched....the fox had come from the other side. :&>

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS