Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: good goat book for the newbie  (Read 3181 times)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
good goat book for the newbie
« on: May 06, 2013, 02:21:08 pm »
Getting a couple of goats have been on my mind for a while now but I know virtually nothing about them so was hoping for a rec for a good starter book. Sorry if this is asked a lot, did look honest  :innocent:

waddy

• Joined May 2012
Re: good goat book for the newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:11 pm »
I also need a good goat book as I am very interested in getting a couple of milking goats when we get our smallholding (hopefully not long to go now) and I am a complete novice. I think it is a would probably be a good idea to go on a goat keeping course first also.

Helen :wave: :wave: :wave:

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:30:43 pm »
yup. We're in DASH and I'm pretty sure they do goat courses.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 04:33:28 pm »
Mackenzie "Goat husbandry" 3rd edition, good book but can be hard going, some of the older ones are also quite good if somewhat "characteristic of their time", Check what's in your local library first. The only things that have really changed in the last 20 years is the regulations and some veterinary advice, so books from the 70s and 80s are still fairly relevant for general management.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 06:25:25 pm »
Another vote for Mackenzie...only book you'll need  ;)

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 07:55:23 pm »
thanks all, I shall check it out.

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 08:44:45 pm »
...and can I recommend getting a milk stand (aka goat crush) which they don't often highlight in the books, you'll need it for hoof clipping as goats need their feet trimmed once a month, the stand makes it SO much easier and will take the stress out of this monthly task, for them and for you  :D
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

MikeM

• Joined Jul 2011
  • NW Devon
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:57:09 pm »
I'm 6'5", so the thought of milking a goat from the ground doesn't bear thinking about. The stand would be the 1st thing I'd get, even before the goat  :farmer:

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »
And visit people with goats to get a feel for what needs doing. And for milking lessons. You can't really learn that from a book.

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 08:43:29 pm »
We're new to goat-keeping and the Mackenzie book mentioned above is the one that has helped us the most.  I would also suggest getting a copy of the Herbal Handbook for the Farm & Stable by Juliette de Bairacli Levy (who you find is referred to in the Mackenzie book). 

The point made about meeting other goat keepers is a good one as well - being able to learn from experience is great

Maudlin-Matilda

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Republic of Ireland
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 08:58:09 pm »
Also meant to say that books are great but you don't have to treat them like a bible because when you're up and running you'll soon find what works best for you and your goats.  Also bear in mind that different breeds of goats will have some specific needs that others might not have and all will be different characters.

You can also get a much more interactive kind of advice on forums like this.

Be careful though - we found that we reached such a saturation point with our research that we were almost frightened to get goats at all.

The best advice someone has given me about smallholding, and they are also a goat-keeper, is to develop a sick sense of humour.  I think that's the best thing I've learned! :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS