Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help please - Ewe with noisy breathing  (Read 4768 times)

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Help please - Ewe with noisy breathing
« on: May 05, 2013, 11:13:01 pm »
I have a 2 year old Ryeland ewe who got pneumonia (treated in very early stages)  just before lambing - she had improved post-lambing after anti-biotics before and afterwards, but her breathing seems to have just got really noisy again and she has a clear nasal discharge.(she's not the only one with a discharge but her breathing is the worst)  I know it's suddenly got really hot and they are all panting anyway ( and their fleeces are something else) but she is almost grunting. She seems fine in herself - she still has a good appetite, comes running for her concentrates - and her lamb is growing really well. Am I worrying unduly or should I get the vet out again?  5th visit in a month :(  but if you think I should, I will....

My shearling Ryeland ram is in a different field  - they haven't had nose to nose contact - and his breathing is very rapid too - though not as grunty.

With the problems I've had over the last month (I won't bore you) I've got to the point where I don't know whether I am being paranoid or not.  Are they just blooming hot?!  Please help!!   :gloomy:
Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Help please - Ewe with noisy breathing
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 05:55:08 am »
I doubt any of us will want to risk advising you wrongly on this, sight unseen.  It could easily be just that they are hot, with maybe a bit of underlying impairment of lung function from the previous infection - but equally it could be another infection.

Can you take their temperature? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

bizzielizzie66

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Kent
Re: Help please - Ewe with noisy breathing
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 08:35:38 am »
Thanks Sally and yes I've taken her temperature - 39.2 & 38.9 so normal - but it was normal before as well.

I've got a metacam injection spare so thought I'd give her that today (it might soothe things a bit) and see how she is tomorrow .

Keeper of Ryelands (learner) , Geese, Bantams, Chickens, Ducks , Horses & Cattle.  Animal Feed Merchant by day & BSc Agriculture graduate of yore :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS